Campus Life, News

Homecoming block party offers food, art to admire

Homecoming’s annual block party attracted large crowds of alumni and current students, as well as their friends and family Friday night to the food trucks, rides and artwork dedicated to the homecoming theme – For My City.

Long lines for pizza, arepas, burgers, hotdogs and sweet treats like Cold Stone and snow cones blended into large crowds. Many passed the time by catching up with friends and reuniting with graduates.

Students were seen walking up and down the street trying to figure out which truck would be the best option.

“I was just looking at whatever looks good,” said freshman Chrissy Garvey, who purchased from the Il Fiorentino Truck. “I’ve had friends that got stuff from here and it always smells so good.”

Garvey said while it was important to find good food, it was also important to keep track of time as to not miss out on other events.

“Sometimes going for the shortest line is key,” Garvey said.

After eating their food and making their way over to the festivities, many said they were impressed with the sand sculpture that had “Homecoming” and “For My City” carved into it.

“Earlier I saw the sand as I was just walking past,” said senior Marthy Brave. “I thought it was just there for construction or something. So, to come here and see that someone actually carved into it, I thought it was really cute.”

The graffiti-like artwork was also a hit, and served as a background for pictures.

It was an emotional time for some students, especially those partaking in their last homecoming as a student.

“I’ve been trying not to be too sentimental,” Brave said. “Seeing all of the alumni has gotten me almost nostalgic about the past four years.”

About Author

Nadijah Campbell

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...