Campus Life, News

Homecoming block party offers food, art to admire

Homecoming’s annual block party attracted large crowds of alumni and current students, as well as their friends and family Friday night to the food trucks, rides and artwork dedicated to the homecoming theme – For My City.

Long lines for pizza, arepas, burgers, hotdogs and sweet treats like Cold Stone and snow cones blended into large crowds. Many passed the time by catching up with friends and reuniting with graduates.

Students were seen walking up and down the street trying to figure out which truck would be the best option.

“I was just looking at whatever looks good,” said freshman Chrissy Garvey, who purchased from the Il Fiorentino Truck. “I’ve had friends that got stuff from here and it always smells so good.”

Garvey said while it was important to find good food, it was also important to keep track of time as to not miss out on other events.

“Sometimes going for the shortest line is key,” Garvey said.

After eating their food and making their way over to the festivities, many said they were impressed with the sand sculpture that had “Homecoming” and “For My City” carved into it.

“Earlier I saw the sand as I was just walking past,” said senior Marthy Brave. “I thought it was just there for construction or something. So, to come here and see that someone actually carved into it, I thought it was really cute.”

The graffiti-like artwork was also a hit, and served as a background for pictures.

It was an emotional time for some students, especially those partaking in their last homecoming as a student.

“I’ve been trying not to be too sentimental,” Brave said. “Seeing all of the alumni has gotten me almost nostalgic about the past four years.”

Nadijah Campbell

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...