Campus Life, News

Homecoming block party offers food, art to admire

Homecoming’s annual block party attracted large crowds of alumni and current students, as well as their friends and family Friday night to the food trucks, rides and artwork dedicated to the homecoming theme – For My City.

Long lines for pizza, arepas, burgers, hotdogs and sweet treats like Cold Stone and snow cones blended into large crowds. Many passed the time by catching up with friends and reuniting with graduates.

Students were seen walking up and down the street trying to figure out which truck would be the best option.

“I was just looking at whatever looks good,” said freshman Chrissy Garvey, who purchased from the Il Fiorentino Truck. “I’ve had friends that got stuff from here and it always smells so good.”

Garvey said while it was important to find good food, it was also important to keep track of time as to not miss out on other events.

“Sometimes going for the shortest line is key,” Garvey said.

After eating their food and making their way over to the festivities, many said they were impressed with the sand sculpture that had “Homecoming” and “For My City” carved into it.

“Earlier I saw the sand as I was just walking past,” said senior Marthy Brave. “I thought it was just there for construction or something. So, to come here and see that someone actually carved into it, I thought it was really cute.”

The graffiti-like artwork was also a hit, and served as a background for pictures.

It was an emotional time for some students, especially those partaking in their last homecoming as a student.

“I’ve been trying not to be too sentimental,” Brave said. “Seeing all of the alumni has gotten me almost nostalgic about the past four years.”

Nadijah Campbell

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...