Campus Life, News

Homecoming block party offers food, art to admire

Homecoming’s annual block party attracted large crowds of alumni and current students, as well as their friends and family Friday night to the food trucks, rides and artwork dedicated to the homecoming theme – For My City.

Long lines for pizza, arepas, burgers, hotdogs and sweet treats like Cold Stone and snow cones blended into large crowds. Many passed the time by catching up with friends and reuniting with graduates.

Students were seen walking up and down the street trying to figure out which truck would be the best option.

“I was just looking at whatever looks good,” said freshman Chrissy Garvey, who purchased from the Il Fiorentino Truck. “I’ve had friends that got stuff from here and it always smells so good.”

Garvey said while it was important to find good food, it was also important to keep track of time as to not miss out on other events.

“Sometimes going for the shortest line is key,” Garvey said.

After eating their food and making their way over to the festivities, many said they were impressed with the sand sculpture that had “Homecoming” and “For My City” carved into it.

“Earlier I saw the sand as I was just walking past,” said senior Marthy Brave. “I thought it was just there for construction or something. So, to come here and see that someone actually carved into it, I thought it was really cute.”

The graffiti-like artwork was also a hit, and served as a background for pictures.

It was an emotional time for some students, especially those partaking in their last homecoming as a student.

“I’ve been trying not to be too sentimental,” Brave said. “Seeing all of the alumni has gotten me almost nostalgic about the past four years.”

Nadijah Campbell

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...