Edge, Music

T-Pain, Waka Flocka shower Homecoming concert with confetti, inflatables

During his performance, Waka Flocka went off stage and sang on the floor with the crowd. Alisha Khabir // Staff Photographer

Hurricane Productions' Homecoming Concert took place at the Bank United Center Thursday evening. This year's artists were Waka Flocka Flame, T-Pain, and Eche Palante. When T-Pain took the stage, the audience was entertained by the best of his old tunes along with new remixes. T-Pain also broke out dance moves like the "Nae-Nae" and "the whip". Throughout the performances, the artists gave away free water bottles, beach balls, confetti and glow sticks to the audience. Alisha Khabir // Staff Photographer

Hurricane Productions’ Homecoming Concert took place at the Bank United Center Thursday evening. This year’s artists were Waka Flocka Flame, T-Pain, and Eche Palante. When T-Pain took the stage, the audience was entertained by the best of his old tunes along with new remixes. T-Pain also broke out dance moves like the “Nae-Nae” and “the whip”. Throughout the performances, the artists gave away free water bottles, beach balls, confetti and glow sticks to the audience. Alisha Khabir // Staff Photographer

Confetti, shoes, water bottles, toilet paper, inflatables, glow sticks and sweaty celebrity rags rained down on the audience during the Homecoming concert with Waka Flocka and T-Pain Thursday night.

School pride mixed with love for the artists was a reason many students made the decision to attend. “You can’t turn up for homecoming without going to the concert,” said junior Kristi Brownlee.

Standing in line full of anticipation and a study guide in hand, junior Sabrina Romaine said she wasn’t going to miss this concert for anything – even if she did have an exam next day.

“This is my first homecoming and I’m excited because I love Waka Flocka and I want T-pain at my wedding,” Romaine said.

Waka Flocka was first on deck. His performance consisted of an unexpected combination of music, including performances of fan favorites like “Hard in Da Paint,” and his own mixes of Electronic Dance Music.

The audience seemed split on his decision as some looked around confused while others jumped in the air and danced to the beats. However, his willingness to connect with all of the crowd made him a favorite. Toward the end of his performance, he even jumped into the crowd to meet his fans.

“It was a life-changing experience,” said freshman Chris Schenker. “At one point, a very sweaty Waka Flocka Flame went stumbling through the crowd and I got to shake his hand.”

There were plenty of excited murmurs during the transition to T-Pain’s performance when members spotted twins who were backup singers and a woman on drums. However, when T-Pain made an appearance, he quickly stole the attention. He played the old-goodies with new twists, including acapella for some songs and remixes of others.

Nothing but cheers and laughter could be heard when T-pain performed famous dance moves like “the whip” and “Nae-Nae,” as well as his own pop-locking and choreographed dance moves with his hype man.

While the night was an unforgettable experience for many, it was not all for positive reasons.

“I thought it was one of the worst planned events I’ve ever been to and I’ve been to 40 other concerts,” said freshman Jared Madfes. “Music quality aside, the way it was run was atrocious.”

Madfes had a floor ticket that was only valid until 7:50 p.m. When his class caused him to arrive late, he was told his only option was to go into the stands, despite the ample amount of room on the floor.

“It didn’t make sense that we weren’t using certain things that we could’ve in order to increase the overall enjoyment of the Miami community,” he said. “They so grossly underestimated the number of people who could’ve been on that floor level.”

The floor, although not at its capacity, was filled with other trouble. Students fighting to get as close to the stage as possible created dangerous situations. Some students said they feared for their lives multiple times when the constant movement caused the crowd to unwillingly lean in the same direction all at once, almost causing some to fall and be trampled. The experience made the concert even more memorable for Schenker.

“I was almost crushed in a mosh pit,” he said matter-of-factly. “Overall, it was a successful night, one that will stay with me forever.”

Aside from the extreme measures students took to make their way to the front, the artists’ creativity and originality still made for a great time.

“I’m happy I got to experience one of the best concerts I’ve seen in all of my years here,” said senior Hülya Miclisse-Pola. “I didn’t expect them to get the crowd as turnt. It was actually really live.”

Nadijah Campbell

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...