Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Controversial Duke game tops off rough week for Miami Hurricanes

Larry Scott definitely got his first taste as head coach after the Miami Hurricanes defeated the Duke Blue Devils 30-27 on Saturday. It was almost too heroic to be true.

After Duke quarterback Thomas Sirk ran the ball into the end zone, all hope seemed lost for the Hurricanes as the team trailed 27-24 with six seconds to go. What happened next had everyone’s eyes glued to the TV screen for the next 15 minutes.

Duke squibbed the kickoff, but the Canes handled it anyway. Eight lateral passes later, Corn Elder ran down the field and scored the winning touchdown after time expired, causing the Hurricane sideline to pile on the field in celebration.

Now, a win is a win, but the referees mishandled this play for several reasons:

• Running back Mark Walton’s knee was down when he tossed the ball backwards after being tackled. That would have ended the game.
  • The block in the back at the Canes’ 16-yard line was not called by the refs. Miami would’ve had an untimely down at the eight-yard line.
  • Wide receiver Rashawn Scott charged the field with his helmet off as Elder was still running toward the end zone.

No wonder the officials were suspended by the ACC. You cannot review a possible block in the back play that was not called on the field.

Throughout history, we’ve witnessed similar (in)famous plays, such as “The Play,” where Stanford band members ran on the field after they thought they had defeated the University of California, Berkeley.

A little excitement out of the Hurricanes was needed after a rough loss to Clemson, a change in head coaches and Brad Kaaya’s concussion. A road win over a top-25 team was the perfect way to cap off the week, no matter how crazy it got.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “WCGSports: Controversial Duke game tops off rough week for Miami Hurricanes”

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...