Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Controversial Duke game tops off rough week for Miami Hurricanes

Larry Scott definitely got his first taste as head coach after the Miami Hurricanes defeated the Duke Blue Devils 30-27 on Saturday. It was almost too heroic to be true.

After Duke quarterback Thomas Sirk ran the ball into the end zone, all hope seemed lost for the Hurricanes as the team trailed 27-24 with six seconds to go. What happened next had everyone’s eyes glued to the TV screen for the next 15 minutes.

Duke squibbed the kickoff, but the Canes handled it anyway. Eight lateral passes later, Corn Elder ran down the field and scored the winning touchdown after time expired, causing the Hurricane sideline to pile on the field in celebration.

Now, a win is a win, but the referees mishandled this play for several reasons:

• Running back Mark Walton’s knee was down when he tossed the ball backwards after being tackled. That would have ended the game.
  • The block in the back at the Canes’ 16-yard line was not called by the refs. Miami would’ve had an untimely down at the eight-yard line.
  • Wide receiver Rashawn Scott charged the field with his helmet off as Elder was still running toward the end zone.

No wonder the officials were suspended by the ACC. You cannot review a possible block in the back play that was not called on the field.

Throughout history, we’ve witnessed similar (in)famous plays, such as “The Play,” where Stanford band members ran on the field after they thought they had defeated the University of California, Berkeley.

A little excitement out of the Hurricanes was needed after a rough loss to Clemson, a change in head coaches and Brad Kaaya’s concussion. A road win over a top-25 team was the perfect way to cap off the week, no matter how crazy it got.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

About Author

Wyatt Geller

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “WCGSports: Controversial Duke game tops off rough week for Miami Hurricanes”

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...