Campus Life, News, Video

United Black Students shows most spirit during Storm Warning, new Homecoming tradition

As the sun set on the Whitten University Center Patio Wednesday afternoon, hurricane sirens sounded off. They marked the inauguration of a new Homecoming tradition, The Storm Warning.

Students walked from the Lakeside Patio to the Knight Sports Complex, where the students would eventually watch the University of Miami women’s volleyball team play against Florida State University (FSU).

See More: Canes defeat Seminoles 3-1 in crucial ACC matchup 

Designed to pump up students for the game, the competition was judged by the Homecoming Executive Committee on how loud their cheers were, and how much spirit they showed. United Black Students was announced as the organization with the most spirit during the volleyball game, inching them closer to a homecoming title.

“There was no better time to do this first event than while playing against FSU,” said Kevin Weaver, the chair of Storm Warning. “The march to the stadium, while we do our Canes chant, will pump us up to cheer on our team. The storm warning serves as an alert to FSU the fans are coming.”

From the patio, Sebestian led students past the Donna E. Shalala Student Center, past the freshmen residential colleges and to the sports complex while singing Hurricane chants.

Accompanying Sebastian was the UM baseball mascot, The Miami Maniac alongside the cheerleading dance team, Sunsations.

At the end of the walk, there was food served by catering company, Chef Paella, who offered Cuban chicken or veggie rice.

Marcus Lim

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

You think you’ve got a lot of cooking to do to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner? Imagine how busy the ...

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

The Miami women's basketball team's annual Miami Thanksgiving Tournament begins Friday at ...