Campus Life, News, Video

United Black Students shows most spirit during Storm Warning, new Homecoming tradition

As the sun set on the Whitten University Center Patio Wednesday afternoon, hurricane sirens sounded off. They marked the inauguration of a new Homecoming tradition, The Storm Warning.

Students walked from the Lakeside Patio to the Knight Sports Complex, where the students would eventually watch the University of Miami women’s volleyball team play against Florida State University (FSU).

See More: Canes defeat Seminoles 3-1 in crucial ACC matchup 

Designed to pump up students for the game, the competition was judged by the Homecoming Executive Committee on how loud their cheers were, and how much spirit they showed. United Black Students was announced as the organization with the most spirit during the volleyball game, inching them closer to a homecoming title.

“There was no better time to do this first event than while playing against FSU,” said Kevin Weaver, the chair of Storm Warning. “The march to the stadium, while we do our Canes chant, will pump us up to cheer on our team. The storm warning serves as an alert to FSU the fans are coming.”

From the patio, Sebestian led students past the Donna E. Shalala Student Center, past the freshmen residential colleges and to the sports complex while singing Hurricane chants.

Accompanying Sebastian was the UM baseball mascot, The Miami Maniac alongside the cheerleading dance team, Sunsations.

At the end of the walk, there was food served by catering company, Chef Paella, who offered Cuban chicken or veggie rice.

About Author

Marcus Lim

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...