Campus Life, News, Video

United Black Students shows most spirit during Storm Warning, new Homecoming tradition

As the sun set on the Whitten University Center Patio Wednesday afternoon, hurricane sirens sounded off. They marked the inauguration of a new Homecoming tradition, The Storm Warning.

Students walked from the Lakeside Patio to the Knight Sports Complex, where the students would eventually watch the University of Miami women’s volleyball team play against Florida State University (FSU).

See More: Canes defeat Seminoles 3-1 in crucial ACC matchup 

Designed to pump up students for the game, the competition was judged by the Homecoming Executive Committee on how loud their cheers were, and how much spirit they showed. United Black Students was announced as the organization with the most spirit during the volleyball game, inching them closer to a homecoming title.

“There was no better time to do this first event than while playing against FSU,” said Kevin Weaver, the chair of Storm Warning. “The march to the stadium, while we do our Canes chant, will pump us up to cheer on our team. The storm warning serves as an alert to FSU the fans are coming.”

From the patio, Sebestian led students past the Donna E. Shalala Student Center, past the freshmen residential colleges and to the sports complex while singing Hurricane chants.

Accompanying Sebastian was the UM baseball mascot, The Miami Maniac alongside the cheerleading dance team, Sunsations.

At the end of the walk, there was food served by catering company, Chef Paella, who offered Cuban chicken or veggie rice.

Marcus Lim

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...