Community, Crime and Safety, News

Third-year law student Kevin Sigurani dies

NEWS_Death Kevin Sigurani

Kevin Sigurani

A 24-year-old University of Miami student died on Monday after being hit by a truck while skateboarding on Bird Road, according to police.

Kevin Sigurani, a third-year student in the law school, was riding his skateboard in the eastbound lane of Bird Road when a truck heading in the same direction hit him. Coral Gables Police Department spokeswoman Kelly Denham said that Sigurani was wearing dark clothes at the time of the accident, which may have made him difficult to see. The driver stayed on the scene and administered aid before paramedics arrived and took Sigurani to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he died on Monday morning, according to Denham. An investigation into the accident has been opened.

School of Law Dean Patricia D. White said in an email to faculty, staff and students of the law school that there had been an outpouring of support in response to the accident. “He was clearly a wonderfully caring and special person. We have been in close touch with his mother. Today, as befits Kevin’s generous spirit, several organ transplants are being done. His heart and other organs will live on and bring life and hope to other people.”
White said that she anticipated a reception at the School of Law following a reception at St. Augustine Church on Miller Road, but that Sigurani’s mother was still working on making arrangements. She added that Sigurani was from Miami and graduated from Florida International University before attending UM’s law school.  He interned for Judge Ellen Venzer of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida this summer and was in the Children and Youth Law Clinic, according to White.

William Riggin

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...