Community, Crime and Safety, News

Third-year law student Kevin Sigurani dies

NEWS_Death Kevin Sigurani

Kevin Sigurani

A 24-year-old University of Miami student died on Monday after being hit by a truck while skateboarding on Bird Road, according to police.

Kevin Sigurani, a third-year student in the law school, was riding his skateboard in the eastbound lane of Bird Road when a truck heading in the same direction hit him. Coral Gables Police Department spokeswoman Kelly Denham said that Sigurani was wearing dark clothes at the time of the accident, which may have made him difficult to see. The driver stayed on the scene and administered aid before paramedics arrived and took Sigurani to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he died on Monday morning, according to Denham. An investigation into the accident has been opened.

School of Law Dean Patricia D. White said in an email to faculty, staff and students of the law school that there had been an outpouring of support in response to the accident. “He was clearly a wonderfully caring and special person. We have been in close touch with his mother. Today, as befits Kevin’s generous spirit, several organ transplants are being done. His heart and other organs will live on and bring life and hope to other people.”
White said that she anticipated a reception at the School of Law following a reception at St. Augustine Church on Miller Road, but that Sigurani’s mother was still working on making arrangements. She added that Sigurani was from Miami and graduated from Florida International University before attending UM’s law school.  He interned for Judge Ellen Venzer of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida this summer and was in the Children and Youth Law Clinic, according to White.

William Riggin

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...