Campus Life, News

PBS CEO Paula Kerger discusses running successful non-profit media

CEO and president of Public Broadcast Service (PBS) Paula Kerger vists UM to discuss the media industry Monday afternoon. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

The CEO and president of Public Broadcast Service (PBS) Paula Kerger, who runs a not-for-profit that expands media across platforms, visited the University of Miami to discuss the media industry in the digital age. PBS is a unique television service provider in that it is a public, not-for-profit broadcasting service. Its revenue comes primarily from taxes and philanthropy, as opposed to private investments. Kerger embraces this as a reason to focus exclusively on satisfying the viewers.

“At the end of the day, the work that we do is really judged on the impact. We’re not delivering to a shareholder or a stockholder in any way,” Kerger said in an interview with student media. “We are in service to the American public.”

Kerger joined PBS in 2006 as its sixth president. She believes they have created a strong trust with the American public.

“That’s the thing I’m the proudest of … It really underscores the authenticity of the content that we produce and I think it enables us to actually do the kind of work we do, because people trust us,” she said. “They trust that we are going to get the story right … and they trust that at the end of the day, what we are principally concerned about is serving the public, not selling to it.”

Shows such as “Sesame Street” and “Clifford the Big Red Dog” may come to mind when one thinks of PBS, but the station extends far beyond kids programming. As a matter of fact, they broadcast such a wide variety of content that about 80 percent of people watch them at some point, according to Kerger. This prevalence, along with content diversity, can be largely attributed to the number of platforms on which PBS is broadcast.

Kerger emphasized the importance of being broadcast over a number of platforms in attempt to reach new audiences.

“We are very focused in making sure that we are every place where viewers might expect to find content. So that means we are on television, AppleTV and Hulu, Netflix … and we are also available in streaming video, so there’s an app for your tablet as well as your smartphone,” she said. “We go back to the time when we were on a channel that you physically had to get up and cross the room in order to change.”

Kerger also spoke about diversity in America and its congruence with diversity across media channels.

“We hear many languages and accents, and there’s definitely a place for many voices in public broadcasting,” she said. “We are interested in really reflecting the country.”

David Ufberg

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...