Opinion, Staff Editorial

Participation matters in homecoming activities

Described by some students as their favorite time of the year, Homecoming week has come around again. The Shalala Student Center has been made over with colorful signage, Homecoming banners are going up all around and the campus is being spruced up for visiting alumni. However, despite the hustle and bustle of a jam-packed agenda, Homecoming activities remain on the fringe of many students’ attention.

A large part of this results from the fact that most Homecoming activities require students to participate as a part of an organization. Events like Organized Cheer, the alma mater singing competition and the Homecoming parade encourage student organizations to step forward and showcase the best of their members.

While this sounds good in theory, for students outside of these few participating organizations, it is difficult to feel the Homecoming spirit. Homecoming involvement could be solicited through more widespread channels such as the residential college system or academic departments. Simply getting more students to talk about Homecoming participation can increase inclusivity.

In addition, smaller clubs and organizations should be able to pool together their resources to register for Homecoming activities. Traditionally, large organizations with more resources such as the Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos or the Association of Commuter Students have been most involved with Homecoming activities, even appointing Homecoming chair positions to oversee participation throughout the week.

For the hundreds of smaller student organizations on campus like pre-professional organizations, service organizations and smaller cultural clubs, participating in these Homecoming activities alone may be too big of a commitment. When the activities feature only a few visible student organizations on campus, unaffiliated students may not feel that these events are meant for them to enjoy.

Homecoming week is meant to celebrate our school, alumni and students. Therefore, these many activities are only meaningful if they effectively energize the entire campus, not just a small portion of the student body.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...