Basketball, Sports

Michelle Woods brings talent, experience to Canes basketball

Michelle Woods (10) drives past a Nova Southeastern University defender Wednesday afternoon at the Bank United Center. The Canes won 83-53. Giancarlo Falconi // Assistant Photo Editor

Michelle Woods (10) drives past a Nova Southeastern University defender Wednesday afternoon at the BankUnited Center. The Canes won 83-53. Giancarlo Falconi // Assistant Photo Editor

Michelle Woods wants to end her collegiate career on a high note this season. The redshirt senior will be turned to for her leadership and experience this year more than ever.

Woods will seek to build on a strong season last year, when she was second on the team in assists, free throws made and free throws attempted. One of her greatest assets is her ability to involve her teammates. Woods’s ability to penetrate, to draw defenders and to find open teammates provides opportunities for the whole offense.

The Naples, Florida native has great offensive skills from both inside and outside. She has a knack for getting to the rim and drawing fouls, as she was able to rack up a good portion of her 8.5 points per game from the charity stripe. However, Woods can also connect from beyond the three-point arc. She was third on the team for three-pointers with 36 last year, while posting a respectable 32.5 field goal percentage from deep.

Woods is also talented on the defensive end of the court. Her quick hands resulted in 31 steals last year. This culminated in a milestone game against Iowa during the second round of the NCAA Tournament. She recorded three steals in that matchup, which is good enough for ninth most in an NCAA Tournament game in the history of Miami basketball.

After being forced to sit out the 2013-14 season due to a chest injury, Woods came back strong last year and proved that durability and toughness were trademarks of her game. She played in all 33 games and averaged about 26 minutes in those contests. This will certainly not change in the upcoming season, as the Canes will need her experience and skills on the court.

Woods will be an important piece of the puzzle for Miami this year. If she continues to contribute both offensively and defensively successfully for the Canes, they can expect another NCAA Tournament berth.

Cody Brown

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...