Basketball, Sports

Michelle Woods brings talent, experience to Canes basketball

Michelle Woods (10) drives past a Nova Southeastern University defender Wednesday afternoon at the Bank United Center. The Canes won 83-53. Giancarlo Falconi // Assistant Photo Editor

Michelle Woods (10) drives past a Nova Southeastern University defender Wednesday afternoon at the BankUnited Center. The Canes won 83-53. Giancarlo Falconi // Assistant Photo Editor

Michelle Woods wants to end her collegiate career on a high note this season. The redshirt senior will be turned to for her leadership and experience this year more than ever.

Woods will seek to build on a strong season last year, when she was second on the team in assists, free throws made and free throws attempted. One of her greatest assets is her ability to involve her teammates. Woods’s ability to penetrate, to draw defenders and to find open teammates provides opportunities for the whole offense.

The Naples, Florida native has great offensive skills from both inside and outside. She has a knack for getting to the rim and drawing fouls, as she was able to rack up a good portion of her 8.5 points per game from the charity stripe. However, Woods can also connect from beyond the three-point arc. She was third on the team for three-pointers with 36 last year, while posting a respectable 32.5 field goal percentage from deep.

Woods is also talented on the defensive end of the court. Her quick hands resulted in 31 steals last year. This culminated in a milestone game against Iowa during the second round of the NCAA Tournament. She recorded three steals in that matchup, which is good enough for ninth most in an NCAA Tournament game in the history of Miami basketball.

After being forced to sit out the 2013-14 season due to a chest injury, Woods came back strong last year and proved that durability and toughness were trademarks of her game. She played in all 33 games and averaged about 26 minutes in those contests. This will certainly not change in the upcoming season, as the Canes will need her experience and skills on the court.

Woods will be an important piece of the puzzle for Miami this year. If she continues to contribute both offensively and defensively successfully for the Canes, they can expect another NCAA Tournament berth.

Cody Brown

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...