Commentary, Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes hope to avoid trap game against Virginia

Redshirt freshman Malik Rosier (12) prepares to throw in his first career start against Duke last Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium. Rosier is questionable to start in this week's game against Viriginia. Photo courtesy Ben McKeown

Redshirt freshman Malik Rosier (12) prepares to throw in his first career start against Duke last Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium. Rosier is questionable to start in this week’s game against Virginia. Photo courtesy Ben McKeown

Let’s say it now: there is no way last week’s victory can be topped. None.

For the resurgent Miami Hurricanes looking to climb back into the ACC Coastal race, that’s just fine.

Despite it being just one game, “The Return,” the “Miami Miracle,” whatever you choose to call it, has the Hurricanes riding a high that they have not experienced for years. It’s time to get back to business though, as the University of Virginia Cavaliers are heading to Sun Life Stadium this Homecoming weekend.

The Cavaliers bring a 3-5 record into Saturday’s matchup, but that may be a bit misleading considering their difficult schedule thus far. All five of Virginia’s losses have been against teams with at least six wins already, and besides the loss to Boise State, every game has been competitive to the end.

With that said and with all the talk of last week’s game still buzzing around Coral Gables, the Hurricanes (5-3, 2-2) could risk falling into the vaunted “trap game.” The Canes could be unwittingly looking ahead past the Cavaliers to a vital Coastal matchup at North Carolina that looms next week.

Luckily for Larry Scott’s team, starting quarterback Brad Kaaya returned to practice earlier this week and has a chance to play on Saturday. If he doesn’t, the Canes will hope that Malik Rosier is ready to go despite an undisclosed injury that kept him overnight in a Durham hospital after last week’s victory.

Both quarterbacks are listed as questionable, but if neither can play against Virginia, redshirt sophomore Vincent Testaverde will get the call.

No matter who the Hurricanes have under center Saturday, don’t be surprised to see Miami light up the scoreboard. Virginia has given up 33 points a game so far this season, which ranks them 98th out of 128 teams in the country. With a Miami team that averages 29 points a game including a goose egg against Clemson, it could be a long day for the Virginia defense.

The remarkable thing for this Hurricanes team is the fact that through all of the ups and downs, they still have a shot at winning the Coastal. Even if it took a miracle to keep that hope alive, the Hurricanes still have a chance at achieving their main goal for the season.

The Canes don’t need a miracle to happen this Saturday. They just need a win.

Austin Sapin

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...