Commentary, Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes hope to avoid trap game against Virginia

Redshirt freshman Malik Rosier (12) prepares to throw in his first career start against Duke last Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium. Rosier is questionable to start in this week's game against Viriginia. Photo courtesy Ben McKeown

Redshirt freshman Malik Rosier (12) prepares to throw in his first career start against Duke last Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium. Rosier is questionable to start in this week’s game against Virginia. Photo courtesy Ben McKeown

Let’s say it now: there is no way last week’s victory can be topped. None.

For the resurgent Miami Hurricanes looking to climb back into the ACC Coastal race, that’s just fine.

Despite it being just one game, “The Return,” the “Miami Miracle,” whatever you choose to call it, has the Hurricanes riding a high that they have not experienced for years. It’s time to get back to business though, as the University of Virginia Cavaliers are heading to Sun Life Stadium this Homecoming weekend.

The Cavaliers bring a 3-5 record into Saturday’s matchup, but that may be a bit misleading considering their difficult schedule thus far. All five of Virginia’s losses have been against teams with at least six wins already, and besides the loss to Boise State, every game has been competitive to the end.

With that said and with all the talk of last week’s game still buzzing around Coral Gables, the Hurricanes (5-3, 2-2) could risk falling into the vaunted “trap game.” The Canes could be unwittingly looking ahead past the Cavaliers to a vital Coastal matchup at North Carolina that looms next week.

Luckily for Larry Scott’s team, starting quarterback Brad Kaaya returned to practice earlier this week and has a chance to play on Saturday. If he doesn’t, the Canes will hope that Malik Rosier is ready to go despite an undisclosed injury that kept him overnight in a Durham hospital after last week’s victory.

Both quarterbacks are listed as questionable, but if neither can play against Virginia, redshirt sophomore Vincent Testaverde will get the call.

No matter who the Hurricanes have under center Saturday, don’t be surprised to see Miami light up the scoreboard. Virginia has given up 33 points a game so far this season, which ranks them 98th out of 128 teams in the country. With a Miami team that averages 29 points a game including a goose egg against Clemson, it could be a long day for the Virginia defense.

The remarkable thing for this Hurricanes team is the fact that through all of the ups and downs, they still have a shot at winning the Coastal. Even if it took a miracle to keep that hope alive, the Hurricanes still have a chance at achieving their main goal for the season.

The Canes don’t need a miracle to happen this Saturday. They just need a win.

Austin Sapin

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...