Commentary, Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes hope to avoid trap game against Virginia

Redshirt freshman Malik Rosier (12) prepares to throw in his first career start against Duke last Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium. Rosier is questionable to start in this week's game against Viriginia. Photo courtesy Ben McKeown

Redshirt freshman Malik Rosier (12) prepares to throw in his first career start against Duke last Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium. Rosier is questionable to start in this week’s game against Virginia. Photo courtesy Ben McKeown

Let’s say it now: there is no way last week’s victory can be topped. None.

For the resurgent Miami Hurricanes looking to climb back into the ACC Coastal race, that’s just fine.

Despite it being just one game, “The Return,” the “Miami Miracle,” whatever you choose to call it, has the Hurricanes riding a high that they have not experienced for years. It’s time to get back to business though, as the University of Virginia Cavaliers are heading to Sun Life Stadium this Homecoming weekend.

The Cavaliers bring a 3-5 record into Saturday’s matchup, but that may be a bit misleading considering their difficult schedule thus far. All five of Virginia’s losses have been against teams with at least six wins already, and besides the loss to Boise State, every game has been competitive to the end.

With that said and with all the talk of last week’s game still buzzing around Coral Gables, the Hurricanes (5-3, 2-2) could risk falling into the vaunted “trap game.” The Canes could be unwittingly looking ahead past the Cavaliers to a vital Coastal matchup at North Carolina that looms next week.

Luckily for Larry Scott’s team, starting quarterback Brad Kaaya returned to practice earlier this week and has a chance to play on Saturday. If he doesn’t, the Canes will hope that Malik Rosier is ready to go despite an undisclosed injury that kept him overnight in a Durham hospital after last week’s victory.

Both quarterbacks are listed as questionable, but if neither can play against Virginia, redshirt sophomore Vincent Testaverde will get the call.

No matter who the Hurricanes have under center Saturday, don’t be surprised to see Miami light up the scoreboard. Virginia has given up 33 points a game so far this season, which ranks them 98th out of 128 teams in the country. With a Miami team that averages 29 points a game including a goose egg against Clemson, it could be a long day for the Virginia defense.

The remarkable thing for this Hurricanes team is the fact that through all of the ups and downs, they still have a shot at winning the Coastal. Even if it took a miracle to keep that hope alive, the Hurricanes still have a chance at achieving their main goal for the season.

The Canes don’t need a miracle to happen this Saturday. They just need a win.

Austin Sapin

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...