Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor: Support our teams in stands on Saturday

What a wild weekend that was, huh?

The Miami Hurricanes pulled off one of the greatest plays in college football history and the sports world exploded. For the first time in a long time, we were the center of national media attention.

Some might say the Canes were in it for the wrong reasons, but that’s just how we like it. As I saw Corn Elder streak down the sideline, I couldn’t help but think, “This is how it’s supposed to be. Canes always fight to the end.” The U has always had a flair for the dramatic and controversial. Truthfully, we wouldn’t want it any other way.

So here we are, post-national media explosion, firmly on the hunt for the ACC Coastal. Coming up, we have a bout against Virginia, a team that has given Miami trouble over the last few years. With the ghost of Al Golden’s regime in the rearview mirror, coupled with the momentum and motivation garnered by this past weekend’s victory, our homecoming game couldn’t come at a better time.

A homecoming game is used to celebrate the players and coaches and all the hard work they’ve put into this season. It’s used to commemorate those long summer days and those daily early morning practices. I call upon the students to rise up and show up in masses to the game this Saturday afternoon.

Week in and week out, our football players pour out blood, sweat and tears for the U. It’s time we do the same for them. I challenge you all to stay for the whole game so we can “throw the fours up” alongside our classmates on the field. We need to show up for this team; they have certainly earned it.

Brandon Almeida is a junior majoring in international finance and marketing. 

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...