Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor: Support our teams in stands on Saturday

What a wild weekend that was, huh?

The Miami Hurricanes pulled off one of the greatest plays in college football history and the sports world exploded. For the first time in a long time, we were the center of national media attention.

Some might say the Canes were in it for the wrong reasons, but that’s just how we like it. As I saw Corn Elder streak down the sideline, I couldn’t help but think, “This is how it’s supposed to be. Canes always fight to the end.” The U has always had a flair for the dramatic and controversial. Truthfully, we wouldn’t want it any other way.

So here we are, post-national media explosion, firmly on the hunt for the ACC Coastal. Coming up, we have a bout against Virginia, a team that has given Miami trouble over the last few years. With the ghost of Al Golden’s regime in the rearview mirror, coupled with the momentum and motivation garnered by this past weekend’s victory, our homecoming game couldn’t come at a better time.

A homecoming game is used to celebrate the players and coaches and all the hard work they’ve put into this season. It’s used to commemorate those long summer days and those daily early morning practices. I call upon the students to rise up and show up in masses to the game this Saturday afternoon.

Week in and week out, our football players pour out blood, sweat and tears for the U. It’s time we do the same for them. I challenge you all to stay for the whole game so we can “throw the fours up” alongside our classmates on the field. We need to show up for this team; they have certainly earned it.

Brandon Almeida is a junior majoring in international finance and marketing. 

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...