Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor: Support our teams in stands on Saturday

What a wild weekend that was, huh?

The Miami Hurricanes pulled off one of the greatest plays in college football history and the sports world exploded. For the first time in a long time, we were the center of national media attention.

Some might say the Canes were in it for the wrong reasons, but that’s just how we like it. As I saw Corn Elder streak down the sideline, I couldn’t help but think, “This is how it’s supposed to be. Canes always fight to the end.” The U has always had a flair for the dramatic and controversial. Truthfully, we wouldn’t want it any other way.

So here we are, post-national media explosion, firmly on the hunt for the ACC Coastal. Coming up, we have a bout against Virginia, a team that has given Miami trouble over the last few years. With the ghost of Al Golden’s regime in the rearview mirror, coupled with the momentum and motivation garnered by this past weekend’s victory, our homecoming game couldn’t come at a better time.

A homecoming game is used to celebrate the players and coaches and all the hard work they’ve put into this season. It’s used to commemorate those long summer days and those daily early morning practices. I call upon the students to rise up and show up in masses to the game this Saturday afternoon.

Week in and week out, our football players pour out blood, sweat and tears for the U. It’s time we do the same for them. I challenge you all to stay for the whole game so we can “throw the fours up” alongside our classmates on the field. We need to show up for this team; they have certainly earned it.

Brandon Almeida is a junior majoring in international finance and marketing. 

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...