Academics, Campus Life, Crime and Safety, Finance, News

Insider trading results in regrettable consequences

Roomy Khan lectures business students about her experiences with insider trading and the dangers associated with it Tuesday evening in the Storer Auditorium. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Roomy Khan visited the Storer Auditorium at the University of Miami School of Business to discuss the dangers of insider trading on Tuesday night.

Khan was born and educated in India, where she received degrees in physics and electrical engineering along with an MBA. She spoke about insider trading as someone who has been charged with the crime in the past.

Khan began the talk by going into the basics of hedge fund management. She discussed the various management positions in the average hedge fund and then shifted towards insider trading. Khan described insider trading as information shared by a company towards a select group of investors rather than all of them. It is also information shared after the “quiet period” (three weeks before the end of the quarter) and information shared after the quarter end.

“You basically get a chance to buy ahead of others [investors],” Khan said. “Insider trading is a very insidious crime because it doesn’t feel like a crime. You’re so focused on the end goal that you’re not thinking you’re breaking the law.”

Khan first broke the law in 1998 when she got in trouble with then-head of the Galleon Group, Raj Rajaratnam. Khan hit it off with Rajaratnam because she shared the same Punjabi heritage as Rajaratnam’s wife. She found herself so eager to earn a spot at his company that she faxed him Intel stock information.

“I was charged with wire fraud, but to be honest, I didn’t know I was breaking the law,” Khan said.

In 2007, Khan got caught trading insider information. She agreed to collaborate with the FBI agents who caught her in order to catch her boss Rajaratnam. “[Working with the FBI was the] most difficult experience I have encountered … it still has strains in my life. I don’t think something like this will ever end,” Khan said. “I tell people to Google me before socializing.”

Khan eventually was jailed despite her collaboration with FBI.

Professor Steve Halbert, who teaches securities law in the business school, said that insider traders believe that they are invincible. “[Insider traders] believe they can enrich themselves without ramification. Insider trading increases, slightly, the gains, while reducing the losses,” he said.

Since being released in June 2014, Khan has been speaking about her experience. She discussed how easy it was to succumb to the temptation.

“In this case, there is no real victim. You’re not stealing from anybody,” she said. However, turning down any offer to trade from the inside is key. “Losing your job (based on bad performance) is not as bad as not being able to work ever again. I have so much education and nothing I can do with it.”

She addressed any future hedge fund workers with a warning.

“I’m a case of what not to do,” Khan said upon released from prison. “I don’t think I can ever recover.”

Khan said that her next step in life would be to teach, if only she could move on from this experience.

Matthew Berkowitz

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...