Basketball, Sports

Ja’Quan Newton will be crucial member off the bench this season

Newton

Newton

Sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton will come off the bench for the Hurricanes this season, but he will still have a key role to play. Miami has high expectations for the highly touted guard out of Philadelphia.

Ranked 58th overall in ESPN’s top 100 coming out of high school, Newton led his high school team to the Catholic League Championship and averaged 21.3 points per game (ppg) during his senior season. The Canes will count on Newton to bring his dexterous and aggressive style every game with guard Manu Lecomte’s recent transfer to Baylor University.

As a freshman, Newton established his capabilities during the university’s summer basketball tour in Europe, averaging 13.5 ppg. During the regular season, Newton showed his potential in limited time, totaling 135 points, 47 assists and 43 rebounds in 459 minutes.

Newton shot 40.5 percent (45 of 111) from the field and 40.0 percent (4 of 10) from three, demonstrating his shooting ability. With an impressive capacity to handle the ball in traffic, Newton can get to the rim on a consistent basis, while also having a wide array of pull-up jump shots and medium range shots in his arsenal.

Although he has established his skill as a shooter, Newton has also demonstrated the capacity to develop into a reliable and potent facilitator. His creativity and strong passing skills maximize his ability to find open teammates and make quality decisions. With more practice and experience, Newton can mature his game to further improve his decision-making and successfully run the team.

With his second season in the ACC coming up, Newton can improve and gain the experience he needs to lead the team and become the top point guard behind Angel Rodriguez.

Alyssa Cruz

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...