Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball prevails 3-2 over Virginia Tech Hokies

The Hurricanes prevailed 3-2 over Virginia Tech in a nail-biter in Blacksburg, Virginia on Friday night.

The Canes took the opening set 25-22 only to see the Hokies come right back in the second for a 25-19 win. Virgina Tech easily took the third set 25-16, but Miami battled back to take the final two sets 25-17 and 15-13.

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott led the Canes offensively with 18 kills, while senior libero Kalysta White delivered impressive defensive play with 21 digs.

Early in the first set, the Hokies came back from a two-point deficit to take away Miami’s short-lived lead. An offensive battle between both teams ensued as they rallied back and forth. The Canes were finally able to break away, maintaining a small lead the rest of the way until finally winning the opener 25-22.

Miami and Virginia Tech traded impressive digs in the hard-fought second set. The Hokies were able to gain momentum before the Canes, however, and ran away with the second set for a 25-19 win.

With their momentum found in the second set, Virginia Tech dominated the third set and led the entire way. The Canes’ difficulty communicating as a team on the court led to struggles both offensively and defensively. Virginia Tech delivered impressive blocks and kill to claim the third set 25-16.

Unwilling to succumb to the Hokies, the Canes answered by delivering an equally dominating fourth set. Finding their offensive rhythm, the Canes led the entire fourth set, demonstrating their dynamics as a team for a 25-17 victory.

After Virginia Tech jumped out to an early lead in the final set, Miami battled back to win the set 15-13, and the match 3-2.

The Canes next play Pittsburgh at 1 p.m. Sunday in Pennsylvania.

Alyssa Cruz

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...