News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Street reflectors installed, Senior Walk announced

Residential Assistant Positions

Ross Logan, the assistant area director of Stanford Residential College (SRC), attended the senate meeting Wednesday to announce that they will be looking to fill the Residential Assistant (RA) positions for the fall semester of 2016.

Interested parties must attend one of the information sessions on the selection process, which are listed on www.miami.edu/raselection.

“I feel like I can build a community on my floor, to be there for my girls and to be a source of resource for them,” Aalekhya Reddam, an RA in SRC, said in the Senate meeting. “I would really recommend it, just apply and see where it takes you.”

The RAs serve as mentors and resources for everyone living on campus, especially for students living on their floor.

Safety on Campus

Street reflectors have been installed on Stanford Drive to improve pedestrian safety.

Furthermore, a sign has been installed on San Amaro Drive which reads: “Increased pedestrian activity.” This is a temporary safety measure until something more concrete is implemented.

International Dance Competition

The Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO) will receive $150 of co-sponsorship funding from Student Government to use for their event “International Dance Competition.”

An annual event of COISO in the fall semester, the dance competition will showcase dances of different cultures at The Rock on Nov. 19 at 9 p.m.

The theme this year is “Throwback Thursday,” with each cultural organization choosing a decade and incorporating their traditional dance.

Notes

All rooms in University Village buildings 1-7 are now installed with their own wireless access points. This will supposedly increase Wi-Fi signal for all residents of the buildings.

The Hecht-Stanford Bridge and The Rat will be having Halloween-themed watch parties for the football game against Duke University at 7 p.m.

Senior Walk will be at the homecoming game on Nov. 7. At 1:15 p.m., all seniors will be able to make the traditional walk on the field of Sun Life Stadium.

Student Government is looking to extend hours in the dining hall, especially during holidays, for those staying on campus.

Marcus Lim

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...