News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Street reflectors installed, Senior Walk announced

Residential Assistant Positions

Ross Logan, the assistant area director of Stanford Residential College (SRC), attended the senate meeting Wednesday to announce that they will be looking to fill the Residential Assistant (RA) positions for the fall semester of 2016.

Interested parties must attend one of the information sessions on the selection process, which are listed on www.miami.edu/raselection.

“I feel like I can build a community on my floor, to be there for my girls and to be a source of resource for them,” Aalekhya Reddam, an RA in SRC, said in the Senate meeting. “I would really recommend it, just apply and see where it takes you.”

The RAs serve as mentors and resources for everyone living on campus, especially for students living on their floor.

Safety on Campus

Street reflectors have been installed on Stanford Drive to improve pedestrian safety.

Furthermore, a sign has been installed on San Amaro Drive which reads: “Increased pedestrian activity.” This is a temporary safety measure until something more concrete is implemented.

International Dance Competition

The Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO) will receive $150 of co-sponsorship funding from Student Government to use for their event “International Dance Competition.”

An annual event of COISO in the fall semester, the dance competition will showcase dances of different cultures at The Rock on Nov. 19 at 9 p.m.

The theme this year is “Throwback Thursday,” with each cultural organization choosing a decade and incorporating their traditional dance.

Notes

All rooms in University Village buildings 1-7 are now installed with their own wireless access points. This will supposedly increase Wi-Fi signal for all residents of the buildings.

The Hecht-Stanford Bridge and The Rat will be having Halloween-themed watch parties for the football game against Duke University at 7 p.m.

Senior Walk will be at the homecoming game on Nov. 7. At 1:15 p.m., all seniors will be able to make the traditional walk on the field of Sun Life Stadium.

Student Government is looking to extend hours in the dining hall, especially during holidays, for those staying on campus.

Marcus Lim

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...