Edge, Fashion

Raid your closet for this year’s Halloween costume

If you’re short on cash or tired of the Halloween shop options, try peeking in your own closet for costume inspiration. These five looks are built off of pieces you probably already have in your wardrobe.

detectivecostume

Detective

Against the chiding of others, you finally have an excuse to bring your trench coat to Miami. Pull off this suave look with some ‘70s separates, like a hound’s-tooth skirt and derby vest. A plaid cap and suede boots will keep this outfit cool and collected. If you’re still not looking ready to solve a case, grab a briefcase and a spyglass to polish off your detective getup.

costume1

Indiana Jones

This outfit is all about layers of beige. Throw on some khakis and a cream button-down, then add a brown windbreaker to get Indie’s signature style. Some hiking boots and an outdoorsy fedora will complete the look. Smudge a bit of dirt or eyeliner on your cheeks for an added effect.

piratecostume

Pirate

This outfit is a costume full of fall trends. Start with a lace-up peasant top and over-the-knee boots. Add some swashbuckling swag with a suede vest and skirt set. Don’t forget to deck yourself out in gold – a coin necklace and parrot pin will solidify your place as a pirate.

vmasmileycostume

VMAs Miley

This costume is marginally better than walking around naked. For decency, start with a nude bodysuit. Channel Miley’s glittery getup with a sequin skirt and duct tape across the chest. Accessorize with some clip-in dreads, faux crystals and a Wrecking Ball red lip.

princesscostume

Vintage Princess Leia

With the new “Star Wars” movie coming out, it’s the perfect time to pay homage to the classic princess. If you don’t have a long white robe, mimic the look with all-white separates. Add a cute gun clutch instead of lugging around a defender-sporting blaster pistol. The final touch is Leia’s signature side buns; you can always add a hairpiece if your locks aren’t quite up to par.

Haley Walker

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...