Edge, Food

Make frighteningly festive treats for Halloween

‘Tis the season for costumes, cobwebs and candy! You don’t need to go trick-or-treating this Halloween to enjoy some frighteningly festive food. These easy recipes will get you into the spooky spirit, no ghosts required.

For a twist on a fall classic, melt various candy bars of your choice in a saucepan, then dip apples into the pot. Insert a skewer into the top of the apples and allow the chocolate coating to harden in the refrigerator. Once cool, enjoy your customized candy apple treat!

For those who find high calorie counts to be ghoulish, make cute and healthy mini pumpkins by inserting a slim strip of celery into an unpeeled clementine.

Overwhelmed by M&M’s and Skittles? Savor a sweet and salty snack by making Halloween trail mix popcorn balls! Microwave marshmallows until they are melted and gooey, then stir in popcorn, M&M’s and Skittles. When they’re well-combined, shape the mixture into balls and allow to cool.

Can’t decide between cake, cookies or candy? Why choose? Mix chopped candy bars into the refrigerated cookie dough of your choice, then press into a store-bought pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and reap the rewards of your indecision.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user jp26jp

Madelyn Paquette

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...