V's Take

Dear V: Boyfriend cramping clique’s style

Over the last few months, I’ve been seeing a guy who’s in his late 30s and I’m a junior in college. I don’t usually go for older guys, but we hit it off and haven’t been able to get enough of each other since. Things are definitely heating up, as we’ve already met each other’s parents and went on a weekend trip. My friends were supportive at first, but now that we’re getting serious, they’ve changed their tune.

They keep saying an age gap that big isn’t practical and he’s going to have more in common with my parents than me. The last time I brought him along on a girls’ night out, my friends were cold and standoffish, barely even including him in the conversation. Driving home, my boyfriend asked me why my friends don’t like him – what am I supposed to say?

I’m trying to keep cool, but I wish they’d be nice when we’re all together. How can I help my friends be comfortable around my boyfriend?

Sincerely,

Mind the Gap

Dear Mind the Gap,

It’s not your boyfriend’s job to merge himself with your circle; it’s your friends’ job to welcome him. Sure, it’ll be awk at first and your guy may prefer to talk football with your dad than to dish gossip with your girls, but he’ll still appreciate the effort to include him.

The next time your crew is hesitant, have them put on a happy face – if you’ve fallen for this guy, there’s a reason you enjoy spending time with him, so they can, too. Try an activity you all enjoy, like a squad trip to the movies or a bite to eat at the bar.

If this doesn’t work, you might have to stand up to your friends. If there’s no true reason they don’t like him besides his age, they’re being shallow. However, you may find there’s a real reason they’re put off by him – they might have claimed it was the age gap to spare your feelings.

When you have feelings for someone, you sometimes ignore big “red flags” you wouldn’t normally overlook. Listen to what your friends have to say first – but if their qualm is truly only the number on his ID, you may have to ditch your friends for your guy once in a while.

Get the girls to let your boo into the crew. Maybe they’ll change their minds when they see how fun he is. Who knows, your guy could even set up one of your girls with one of his bros – that’ll really help make the clique “click.”

-V

Advice Columnist

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...