Football, Sports

Updates from Miami Hurricanes’ first practice under Larry Scott

Interim Head Coach Larry Scott talks with freshman safety Jaquan Johnson at the team's first practice since Al Golden's firing. Mark Singer // Sports Editor

Interim Head Coach Larry Scott talks with freshman safety Jaquan Johnson at the team’s first practice since Al Golden’s firing. Mark Singer // Sports Editor

UPDATED Oct 27, 2015: Quotes from players, coaches have been added.

Here are some updates from the team’s first practice under Interim Head Coach Larry Scott:

• Sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya did not practice today. Kaaya left Saturday’s game against Clemson early in the second quarter with a possible concussion after taking a massive hit by defensive Shaq Lawson. Kaaya still has to pass more concussion protocols before he can return to action. “We’re still waiting [on Brad],” offensive coordinator James Coley said after practice. “Malik [Rosier] took the majority of the reps today.”
  • Rosier was getting the first snaps with the offense as they worked on formations. Quarterbacks sophomore Vincent Testaverde and freshman Evan Shirreffs were also throwing around. “I’m preparing to start. Whether Brad will be back, we have no idea. This week I’m getting more reps with the [starters],” Rosier said.
  • Rosier, who lives with Kaaya, said, “At the house he’s active, he’s moving around. He seemed to get back to himself, which is a good sign.”
  • Redshirt senior receiver Rashawn Scott also did not practice today. Scott, who was still playing with the team trailing by 51 points to Clemson last Saturday, left in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury. Coley said he’s “getting better.” The fifth-year receiver has suffered multiple shoulder injuries in the past that caused him to miss time, including the entire 2014 season.
  • Defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio was on the field with the team. There has been speculation that D’Onofrio, who was very close with Golden, could also be off the staff before the end of the season. D’Onofrio was hurt to see his friend fired. “I just know what kind of guy he is and what he did here. I know that he worked tirelessly to have a successful team and he did everything he could. I’m proud of him,” D’Onofrio said. “I’m always going to be there for Al.”
  • Redshirt senior safety Dallas Crawford said the team was emotional when Golden spoke to the players on Sunday night. “Everybody cried,” Crawford said. “It was like time standing still. He was being as strong as he could be. He said he didn’t get done what he needed to get done.” Crawford added, “We told him how much we appreciated him. He was a father figure to a lot of us.”

Mark Singer

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...