Football, Sports

Updates from Miami Hurricanes’ first practice under Larry Scott

Interim Head Coach Larry Scott talks with freshman safety Jaquan Johnson at the team's first practice since Al Golden's firing. Mark Singer // Sports Editor

Interim Head Coach Larry Scott talks with freshman safety Jaquan Johnson at the team’s first practice since Al Golden’s firing. Mark Singer // Sports Editor

UPDATED Oct 27, 2015: Quotes from players, coaches have been added.

Here are some updates from the team’s first practice under Interim Head Coach Larry Scott:

• Sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya did not practice today. Kaaya left Saturday’s game against Clemson early in the second quarter with a possible concussion after taking a massive hit by defensive Shaq Lawson. Kaaya still has to pass more concussion protocols before he can return to action. “We’re still waiting [on Brad],” offensive coordinator James Coley said after practice. “Malik [Rosier] took the majority of the reps today.”
  • Rosier was getting the first snaps with the offense as they worked on formations. Quarterbacks sophomore Vincent Testaverde and freshman Evan Shirreffs were also throwing around. “I’m preparing to start. Whether Brad will be back, we have no idea. This week I’m getting more reps with the [starters],” Rosier said.
  • Rosier, who lives with Kaaya, said, “At the house he’s active, he’s moving around. He seemed to get back to himself, which is a good sign.”
  • Redshirt senior receiver Rashawn Scott also did not practice today. Scott, who was still playing with the team trailing by 51 points to Clemson last Saturday, left in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury. Coley said he’s “getting better.” The fifth-year receiver has suffered multiple shoulder injuries in the past that caused him to miss time, including the entire 2014 season.
  • Defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio was on the field with the team. There has been speculation that D’Onofrio, who was very close with Golden, could also be off the staff before the end of the season. D’Onofrio was hurt to see his friend fired. “I just know what kind of guy he is and what he did here. I know that he worked tirelessly to have a successful team and he did everything he could. I’m proud of him,” D’Onofrio said. “I’m always going to be there for Al.”
  • Redshirt senior safety Dallas Crawford said the team was emotional when Golden spoke to the players on Sunday night. “Everybody cried,” Crawford said. “It was like time standing still. He was being as strong as he could be. He said he didn’t get done what he needed to get done.” Crawford added, “We told him how much we appreciated him. He was a father figure to a lot of us.”

Mark Singer

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...