Sports, Tennis

Stephanie Wagner leads Canes tennis with impressive showing in the USTA/ITA Southeast Regionals

The women’s tennis team competed in the USTA/ITA Southeast Regionals that started last Thursday and ended Monday in Athens, Georgia at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.

Senior Stephanie Wagner, the sixth ranked player in the nation and third highest ranked player in the tournament, made it all the way to the singles championship of the tournament. However, she lost the match in three sets to University of Georgia’s junior Caroline Brinson. Brinson went up early in the first set, but Wagner was able to fight her way back, winning the set 7-6. The match went downhill from there for Wagner, losing the second set 6-0 and the third set 6-4.

Despite finishing as the runner up in the tournament, Wagner can still possibly be awarded an at-large spot in the November USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships (NIIC). Sophomore Sinead Lohan has already earned a position in the NIIC after reaching the championship of the Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships.

“We are proud of her weekend and the experiences [she learned]. She has to keep working towards her goals relentlessly,” Associate Head Coach Laura Vallverdu said of Wagner to HurricaneSports.com.

Sophomore Yolimar Ogando was not able to make it as far as Wagner in the tournament, but she still reached an impressive leg of the tournament with an appearance in the quarterfinals. Ogando was forced to forfeit due to injury in the second set of the match. The loss was Ogando’s first of the season, moving her current record to an impressive 14-1. Before her injury, Ogando had a strong showing in the tournament, defeating nationally ranked top 25 opponents for the first time this season.

Despite the impressive play from singles players, no Hurricanes’ doubles duo was able to advance past the round of 16. The most closely contested doubles match in the round of 16 was the contest between the Canes duo of Lohan and freshman Ana Madcur. They faced Georgia’s Silvia Garcia and Kennedy Shaffer. The match was a thriller and came down to the very end, resulting in a Bulldogs victory, 9-8.

The Canes next play in the National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships Nov. 12-15 in New York.

Tej Joshi

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...