Football, Sports

Mother of defensive back Artie Burns passes away

Dana Smith, the mother of junior defensive back Artie Burns, passed away early Tuesday morning.

According to the Miami Herald’s Susan Miller Degnan, the football team was told Smith suffered a heart attack Monday night and was rushed to a local hospital. Miami coaches gathered at the hospital, including former head coach Al Golden, to support Burns. For nearly a decade, Smith raised Burns and his two younger brothers without Burns’s father, Artie Tyrone Burns Sr., who began serving a 25-year prison sentence for drug trafficking in February of 2006.

Angela Means, the mother of quarterback Brad Kaaya, took to Twitter to share her condolences.

Burns, who also hurdles for the track and field team at Miami, is in the middle of a career-year with five interceptions, third-most in the nation and tops in the ACC. His status for Saturday’s game against No. 22 Duke is unknown at this time.

A GoFundMe effort, created by the University of Miami Athletics Department, was started to support Burns and his family. You can find the GoFundMe page here.

Mark Singer

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...