Football, Sports, Video

Quick thoughts on Larry Scott’s first public interview as interim head coach

Interim Head Coach Larry Scott spoke for an hour on WQAM 560 at the Rat Monday night. Here are some quick hits from the coach’s first public interview since taking over for Al Golden:

• Scott had no update on the statuses of sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya and redshirt senior receiver Rashawn Scott for Saturday night’s game against Duke. Team doctors are still evaluating the two key members of the offense that left Clemson’s game with injuries. Kaaya left early in the second quarter after failing a concussion test and Scott exited the game in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury.
  • Scott wants to see how this team responds to the coaching change. “Life is 10 percent what happens to you, 90 percent how you respond,” Scott said. The team likes to say “unity defeats adversity.” It’s safe to say the team has to deal with some adversity coming off the worst loss in school history that cost the head coach his job and sidelined the starting quarterback. Just a touch of adversity there.
  • The new interim head coach emphasized how much he is going to rely on the rest of the coaching staff going forward. Scott, who was the tight ends coach and run game coordinator, said offensive coordinator James Coley will assist him in developing the run game.
  • Scott grew up a Hurricane fan. “I developed a strong dislike for the Gators very early,” he said.
  • Scott spent his first night in charge of the Hurricanes talking to recruits. He is confident that the recruits will handle the change well, although two UM commits (senior receiver Ahmmon Richards and sophomore cornerback Al Blades Jr.) already dropped their commitments to the program. “Recruiting is everything,” Scott said. “Your commitment to the University of Miami is to the University of Miami.”
Interim Head Coach Larry Scott and men's basketball Head Coach Jim Larrañaga greet each other during Scott's radio interview with 560 WQAM. Mark Singer // Sports Editor

Interim Head Coach Larry Scott and men’s basketball Head Coach Jim Larrañaga greet each other during Scott’s radio interview with 560 WQAM. Mark Singer // Sports Editor

Mark Singer

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...