Football, Sports, Video

Quick thoughts on Larry Scott’s first public interview as interim head coach

Interim Head Coach Larry Scott spoke for an hour on WQAM 560 at the Rat Monday night. Here are some quick hits from the coach’s first public interview since taking over for Al Golden:

• Scott had no update on the statuses of sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya and redshirt senior receiver Rashawn Scott for Saturday night’s game against Duke. Team doctors are still evaluating the two key members of the offense that left Clemson’s game with injuries. Kaaya left early in the second quarter after failing a concussion test and Scott exited the game in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury.
  • Scott wants to see how this team responds to the coaching change. “Life is 10 percent what happens to you, 90 percent how you respond,” Scott said. The team likes to say “unity defeats adversity.” It’s safe to say the team has to deal with some adversity coming off the worst loss in school history that cost the head coach his job and sidelined the starting quarterback. Just a touch of adversity there.
  • The new interim head coach emphasized how much he is going to rely on the rest of the coaching staff going forward. Scott, who was the tight ends coach and run game coordinator, said offensive coordinator James Coley will assist him in developing the run game.
  • Scott grew up a Hurricane fan. “I developed a strong dislike for the Gators very early,” he said.
  • Scott spent his first night in charge of the Hurricanes talking to recruits. He is confident that the recruits will handle the change well, although two UM commits (senior receiver Ahmmon Richards and sophomore cornerback Al Blades Jr.) already dropped their commitments to the program. “Recruiting is everything,” Scott said. “Your commitment to the University of Miami is to the University of Miami.”
Interim Head Coach Larry Scott and men's basketball Head Coach Jim Larrañaga greet each other during Scott's radio interview with 560 WQAM. Mark Singer // Sports Editor

Interim Head Coach Larry Scott and men’s basketball Head Coach Jim Larrañaga greet each other during Scott’s radio interview with 560 WQAM. Mark Singer // Sports Editor

Mark Singer

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...