UBuzz

Twitter reacts to Al Golden’s firing

University of Miami football coach Al Golden was fired Sunday afternoon, according to a press release from the school’s athletic department. Twitter was abuzz with reaction the long-awaited dismissal and speculaiton as to who the next coach could be.

Shane Larkin, the school’s point guard when it won the ACC Basketball Championship in 2013 and current NBA player with the Brooklyn Nets, emphasized the improtance of getting the school’s next hire right.

NBC 6 reporter Ari Odzer pointed out the potential impact of no more anti-Golden banners.  

Chuck Todd, the host of Meet the Press, a Miami native and Hurricanes fan, praised Golden’s character.

The school’s head women’s basketball coach, Katie Meier, shared her support for Golden.

UM alum and the director of ESPN’s two 30 for 30 films on the school’s football glory days titled The U and The U: Part 2, Billy Corben suggested hiring former coach Butch Davis.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel reporter Omar Kelly tweeted his excitement about the decision.

Current players also tweeted about the decision. Cornerback Artie Burns and defensive linemen Kendrick Norton, Ufomba Kamalu and Demetrius Jackson praised Golden.

Luther R. Campbell, or “Uncle Luke,” the leader of the Miami-based rap group 2 Live Crew, asked the school to allow alumni a say in the appointment of the next coach.

William Riggin

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...