Miami loses overtime thriller 5-4 to Boston College

Gracie Lachowecki (17), seen here at the home game against North Florida in September, scored four goals in Miami's 5-4 overtime loss to Boston College in Massachusetts on Sunday. Matthew Trabold // Staff Photographer
Gracie Lachowecki (17), seen here at the home game against North Florida in September, scored four goals in Miami’s 5-4 overtime loss to Boston College in Massachusetts on Sunday. Matthew Trabold // Staff Photographe

Junior forward Gracie Lachowecki scored four goals for the Hurricanes, but it was not enough. The team fell 5-4 to Boston College in overtime in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts on Sunday afternoon.

The Canes (5-11-0, 2-7-0) came out aggressive on offense in their final road game of the season as they got the first corner kick and shot on goal. However, it was the Eagles (11-6-1, 5-3-1) that capitalized on their first opportunity. In the seventh minute, junior forward Hayley Dowd scored, giving the Eagles an early 1-0 lead. The Canes then showed great resilience by coming back with an equalizer just five minutes later. In the 12th minute of the match, Lachowecki scored her ninth goal of the season to tie the contest 1-1.

It was not long before Lachowecki struck again, recording her second goal of the game at the 22-minute mark of the match. Many athletes would have become complacent with two goals, but not Lachowecki. She recorded a hat trick by the 27th minute to give the Canes a comfortable 3-1 lead in the first half. The Eagles came back to cut Miami’s lead to one while going into halftime when Dowd recorded her second goal of the match.

The Canes, Lachowecki in particular, didn’t skip a beat to open up the second half. Lachowecki put an incredible fourth goal of the match into the back of the net in the 59th minute to regain a two-goal lead with nearly 30 minutes to play.

Unfortunately, this would be the last goal that the Canes scored for the day. In the 64th minute, junior forward McKenzie Meehan was fouled inside the box, resulting in a successful penalty kick that cut the lead to one.

The Canes played steady defense for most of the rest of the half, but with their backs against the wall, the Eagles rose to the occasion. Freshman midfielder Gabby Carreiro scored the equalizer with just four minutes remaining, sending the game into overtime. In overtime, Boston College capitalized on a corner kick when Meehan scored her second goal of the day to end the match.

After a tough loss, the Canes will look to end their regular season on a high note as they take on North Carolina at 7 p.m. Saturday at Cobb Stadium.