Opinion, Staff Editorial

Golden given pink slip fans have been calling for

Finally.

After seasons of pleas to “#FireAlGolden,” the school and Director of Athletics Blake James have listened.

During orientation, new students are practically indoctrinated with our school’s proud football history, reciting back the years the Hurricanes won the national title like studying for a history test: ‘83, ‘87, ‘89, ‘91, ‘01.

Looking at this weekend’s 58-0 blowout against the sixth-ranked Clemson Tigers, no one could have ever guessed that the Miami Hurricanes were once stuff of legend. Miami fans and students alike were rightfully furious about the performance, the worst loss in our program’s history.

Now, after weeks of hemming and hawing about retaining Golden until the end of the season, James has caved to the pressure of furious fans, donors and the Board of Trustees. At some point, enough is enough, and the Clemson-Miami game went far beyond that limit.

Under just four and a half seasons of Golden, the Canes had 14 double-digit losses, which matches the total number UM racked up between 1980-95, per the Miami Herald. Under Golden, Miami never beat a team that finished the year ranked in the top 25.

Though our players may not be superstars, a loss this crippling should never have happened. In addition, UM has not been taking full advantage of the fact that it is located in the most talent-rich high school football region in the country; hopefully the change in leadership will revive the Hurricanes’ competitive recruitment.

This program has long been in dire need of a reboot. Now that the university has finally admitted that the current performance is unacceptable, all efforts should go into finding a new coach capable of reviving the program.

The sooner new leadership is found, the more time they will have to build a strong coaching staff and recruiting class during the off-season.

Regardless of what decisions are made during the upcoming months, Miami fans around the nation can breathe a temporary sigh of relief knowing that the so-called “Golden Era” is finally over.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...