Opinion, Staff Editorial

Golden given pink slip fans have been calling for

Finally.

After seasons of pleas to “#FireAlGolden,” the school and Director of Athletics Blake James have listened.

During orientation, new students are practically indoctrinated with our school’s proud football history, reciting back the years the Hurricanes won the national title like studying for a history test: ‘83, ‘87, ‘89, ‘91, ‘01.

Looking at this weekend’s 58-0 blowout against the sixth-ranked Clemson Tigers, no one could have ever guessed that the Miami Hurricanes were once stuff of legend. Miami fans and students alike were rightfully furious about the performance, the worst loss in our program’s history.

Now, after weeks of hemming and hawing about retaining Golden until the end of the season, James has caved to the pressure of furious fans, donors and the Board of Trustees. At some point, enough is enough, and the Clemson-Miami game went far beyond that limit.

Under just four and a half seasons of Golden, the Canes had 14 double-digit losses, which matches the total number UM racked up between 1980-95, per the Miami Herald. Under Golden, Miami never beat a team that finished the year ranked in the top 25.

Though our players may not be superstars, a loss this crippling should never have happened. In addition, UM has not been taking full advantage of the fact that it is located in the most talent-rich high school football region in the country; hopefully the change in leadership will revive the Hurricanes’ competitive recruitment.

This program has long been in dire need of a reboot. Now that the university has finally admitted that the current performance is unacceptable, all efforts should go into finding a new coach capable of reviving the program.

The sooner new leadership is found, the more time they will have to build a strong coaching staff and recruiting class during the off-season.

Regardless of what decisions are made during the upcoming months, Miami fans around the nation can breathe a temporary sigh of relief knowing that the so-called “Golden Era” is finally over.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...