Aspire to be more than just ‘chill’

Whenever I ask my twin brother about a girl he likes or overhear a guy tell his friends about someone he’s interested in, they always say the same thing: “She’s so chill.”

The concept of “chill” is something along the lines of “relaxed and going with the flow,” or at least it is according to Urban Dictionary.

But girls, or anyone else, shouldn’t aspire to just be “chill.” We should want to be known as something more.

On the surface, describing someone as “chill” is a compliment. Someone who is “relaxed and goes with flow” seems like someone who’s easy to be around. Sure, no one wants to date someone who is completely neurotic, but is it so wrong if people actually care about things? A chill person probably wouldn’t call someone out for a sexist or racist comment and wouldn’t complain if she’s in an uncomfortable situation. But is that a good thing?

I am not chill.

My twin brother once told me, “Rachel you CARE about everything,” and I have countless interests that I feel very passionately about. I am genuinely more excited about the new “Star Wars” movie than my impending graduation this December, and will most likely cry at some point during the premiere. I also care about political and social issues. A coworker of mine told me that I should make a rant channel on YouTube, and I understood why he suggested it. There are countless issues I can discuss, ranging from the killing of dolphins in Japan to the lack of gun control in this country. There are so many topics that I get excited about, like the arrival of “The Winds of Winter,” but also a lot of things that piss me off, like Donald Trump.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing not to be “chill.”  Everyone who ever mattered in history went against the grain, from the founding fathers of our country, to the Beatles, to Stephen Hawking. They all dared to be different. So, please, stop describing the people you like as “chill.” They are smart, passionate, creative and kind, and they deserve to be considered so much more than just … chill.

Rachel Berquist is a senior majoring in English and psychology.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user StockSnap

Rachel Berquist

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...