Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball takes down Boston College Eagles 3-0

Following a tough conference loss to the University of North Carolina last Sunday, the Miami Hurricanes (13-6, 6-3 ACC) bounced back with a 3-0 victory over the Boston College Eagles (9-12, 1-8 ACC) at the Knight Sports Complex Friday evening.

The match was a part of Fall Sportsmanship Week, in which teams share a pregame handshake. “It is always good to have good sportsmanship,” senior offensive hitter Taylor Scott said about the sportsmanship week.

The first set began with both teams scoring at an even pace in the early going, but towards the middle of the set the Canes went on a short run to take an 8-4 advantage. However, the Eagles countered with four straight points to tie the set at eight.

The set remained closely contested as the score was still tied at 12-12. The Canes took control from that point on. Two consecutive aces from senior defensive setter Kalysta White fueled Miami to extend its lead to five at 20-15. The Canes were able to withstand one final push from the Eagles, and won the set 25-23.

The Hurricanes trailed the Eagles 3-4 in the early going of the second set, but a four-point spree capped by a Scott kill put the Canes up 7-4. The Canes maintained around a three-point lead throughout the set until ripping off five consecutive points to go up 19-11. Miami took the second set 25-20.

The Canes won the third and final set 25-19. The team started hot and they did not look back, leading for the entire frame.

Scott played an impressive game, leading the team with 13 kills. “Taylor [Scott] kept us afloat offensively,” Head Coach Jose Gandara said.

The Canes next game will be against the Syracuse Orange (16-4, 6-2 ACC) at 1 p.m. Sunday in the Knight Sports Complex.

Tej Joshi

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...