Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball takes down Boston College Eagles 3-0

Following a tough conference loss to the University of North Carolina last Sunday, the Miami Hurricanes (13-6, 6-3 ACC) bounced back with a 3-0 victory over the Boston College Eagles (9-12, 1-8 ACC) at the Knight Sports Complex Friday evening.

The match was a part of Fall Sportsmanship Week, in which teams share a pregame handshake. “It is always good to have good sportsmanship,” senior offensive hitter Taylor Scott said about the sportsmanship week.

The first set began with both teams scoring at an even pace in the early going, but towards the middle of the set the Canes went on a short run to take an 8-4 advantage. However, the Eagles countered with four straight points to tie the set at eight.

The set remained closely contested as the score was still tied at 12-12. The Canes took control from that point on. Two consecutive aces from senior defensive setter Kalysta White fueled Miami to extend its lead to five at 20-15. The Canes were able to withstand one final push from the Eagles, and won the set 25-23.

The Hurricanes trailed the Eagles 3-4 in the early going of the second set, but a four-point spree capped by a Scott kill put the Canes up 7-4. The Canes maintained around a three-point lead throughout the set until ripping off five consecutive points to go up 19-11. Miami took the second set 25-20.

The Canes won the third and final set 25-19. The team started hot and they did not look back, leading for the entire frame.

Scott played an impressive game, leading the team with 13 kills. “Taylor [Scott] kept us afloat offensively,” Head Coach Jose Gandara said.

The Canes next game will be against the Syracuse Orange (16-4, 6-2 ACC) at 1 p.m. Sunday in the Knight Sports Complex.

Tej Joshi

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...