WCGSports: Win over Hokies acts as ‘statement victory’ for Canes

The last time UM played Virginia Tech at home in 2013 the Canes were ranked number 11 nationally and lost the game 42-24. Last year, the Canes blew out Virginia Tech 30-6 in Blacksburg. Nick Gangemi // Editor in Chief

Dreams of a possible national championship were wiped out after the Miami Hurricanes were defeated by the Florida State Seminoles. On the other hand, the 30-20 victory over the Virginia Tech Hokies snapped a two-game losing streak and provided the Canes with their first Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) win of the year.

Turnovers played a key part in the Hurricanes’ win on Saturday. It started in the first quarter when Hokies quarterback Brenden Motley fumbled on a run play, and the Canes took over at the Hokies’ three-yard line. The next play, running back Joseph Yearby ran it into the end zone, giving the Canes an early 7-0 lead.

After the two teams traded field goals, Motley found running back Travon McMillian for a nine-yard touchdown catch, ending the first quarter with a 10-10 tie.

The game appeared to go into the half tied 13-13, as the Canes were running the football from around their 25-yard line. All of a sudden, the Hokies jumped offsides, giving the Canes a free play as Canes quarterback Brad Kaaya threw a deep pass to wide receiver Herb Waters. This eventually led to a seven-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Rashawn Scott.

Many of the drives in the first half lasted three to five minutes, as the Canes only got three possessions in the second quarter.

Motley would throw two interceptions in the third quarter, but this only led to a field goal giving the Canes a 23-13 lead.

Another touchdown pass from Kaaya to Scott gave the Canes a 30-20 lead late in the ball game.

The win was sealed after CB Artie Burns got his second interception of the day late in the fourth quarter.

Overall, it was a well fought game, but the four turnovers by the Hokies handed the Canes the points that triggered the difference.

Why is this considered a statement victory? The Canes start the Coastal conference 1-0 and have a chance of going undefeated, which will put them in the ACC title game.

If the Canes were somehow able to run the table and defeat potentially FSU or Clemson in the ACC title game, Miami would be placed in a major bowl game. That would be something special for Hurricane football fans.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.