Golf, Sports

Women’s golf team closes out fall schedule with sixth place finish in Texas

Junior Daniela Darquea practices for the Betsey Rawls Invitational at the University of Texas, which took place on Monday and Tuesday. Darquea tied for sixth in the tournament. Photo Courtesy HurricaneSports.com

The No. 28-ranked women’s golf team finished sixth at the 2015 Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational after three rounds of play on Monday and Tuesday in Austin, Texas. The Hurricanes completed the last tournament of their fall schedule with a 54-hole score of 884 at the par 72, 6,298-yard University of Texas golf course.

The Canes did not have their best first two rounds as a team, but had a strong showing in round three to finish in the top half of the field.

Both freshman Dewi Weber and senior Kailey Walsh got off to fast starts in round one on Monday. Weber had a scorecard with a little of everything, including an eagle, three birdies, two bogeys and a double bogey to finish at one under par. Walsh also shot a 71, but with an eagle, four birdies and five bogeys.

Junior Daniela Darquea, the top-seeded player for the Canes, scored a solid 72, but junior Delfina Acosta and senior Christina Ocampo struggled, shooting a 77 and an 81, respectively.

Round two wasn’t much better, as every Cane failed to shoot under par. Acosta started off hot, birdieing four of her first five holes, but a heartbreaking quadruple bogey on the par-4 seventh hole clearly slowed down her pace. Acosta was the only Miami player to not shoot over par, finishing with an even 72 for the round.

The Canes sat in eighth place after two rounds. Weber led Miami heading into the final round tied for 16th.

Miami showed its resilience in round three on Tuesday, specifically Darquea and Weber. Darquea had a flawless round, finishing with four birdies and 14 pars for a score of 68. Weber also had a great round with four birdies and two bogeys that led her to a score of 70. Both players completed the tournament shooting a total three-round score of 216, good enough to be tied for sixth place.

The Canes’ next tournament will be in the spring, when they compete in the 2016 UCF Challenge on Feb. 7 in Orlando.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...