Opinion, Staff Editorial

Stronger alumni network needed to increase value of UM experience

This December, nearly 1,000 of us will walk at commencement and officially become alumni of the University of Miami. The sudden transition from student to alumni begs the question: what does it really mean to be a part of the Canes family after our time here is over?

Alumni have always held clout over universities, but this is especially true at private institutions such as UM, where alumni donations play a much bigger role in the school’s overall funding. While most of us are paying a hefty price out of pocket to attend this school, we must also recognize that a great deal of our experience at UM has benefited from the contributions of alumni. Academic scholarships, athletics, student programs and facilities like the Shalala Student Center and the Wellness Center have all been significantly boosted by alumni donations. Most recently, alumnus Thomas Murphy Jr.’s company has pledged a generous sum to build a new and much-needed architecture studio building.

No doubt, if we eventually have the ability, it would feel great to give back to future students in such a big way. Hated something about campus? Imagine making that problem disappear for the next generation of Canes. But writing a check is not the only way to make a valuable contribution. Offering professional connections, mentoring current students and participating in leadership within alumni organizations are all meaningful ways of taking pride in our alma mater.

As a relatively young school, it is extremely important that we add value to our degree by solidifying a strong, beneficial alumni network. Inching upon only our first century as an institution, we are lucky to still be in a window of time when we can shape that alumni reputation. Visible alumni who give back to the school not only provide resources for students, but also serve as testaments to what kind of success a UM degree can lead to.

The ideal collegiate experience in America is portrayed as a great source of pride, loyalty and camaraderie. Imagine having a college experience that will have us coming back for homecoming games, wearing our school colors and brainwashing our children to attend the best school in the world. We can only hope that many years down the road, we will be able to look back at our time at UM with that appreciation and enthusiasm. But improving the experiences of future graduates? That is something we can do.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Stronger alumni network needed to increase value of UM experience”

1. Adam Chasse says:

I graduated in 1994. The university has done very little to facilitate new alumni connecting with older alumni for mentoring (the platform exists online but a grand total of one person has contacted me in 10 years, so it must not be publicized). Also have never had prospective students reach out although have volunteered to do help with recruitment. I suspect far more alumni are ready to help via remote mentoring/counseling, in person events where they live, and/or guest speaking opportunities in classroom settings or other on campus events. Would be great if there were a way to make this happen.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...