News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Mental Health Forum, Orange Festival

Mental Health Forum

The Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) will receive $320 of co-sponsorship funding from Student Government to be used for their event, Mental Health Forum.

The event will aim to identify mental health issues and address them on campus. The forum also hopes to examine the cross-cultural effects of mental health, how different cultures view mental health and how they can best cater to a variety of mental health needs.

SHAC will also be hosting Tip or Treat on the Friday before Halloween, when they will be giving out free lollipops and condoms in the residential halls.

Orange Festival

Orange Festival is a one-day festival in the spring semester of 2016 that celebrates what it means to be a Cane. Different organizations and businesses come together to celebrate the rich history and traditions of the university.

Applications to be on the executive board are live at facebook.com/UMOrangeFestival and are due on Monday by midnight.

Notes

In the first week of November, undergraduate students doing research or taking class for credit on the medical campus will receive paid metro passes that will last for the semester.

There will be no fee for student organizations looking to reserve space in the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center.

“Hey Scott” is an online suggestion box for students to ask questions and give compliments or suggestions about the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center to executive director Scott Levin.

Students can pie student and administrative leaders on the UC Patio for $2 on Friday. Student Government President Brianna Hathaway and Associate Director of the Student Center Complex Brandon Gross will be among leaders that students can pie. All proceedings go toward Heart for Africa and A Week for Life. Heart for Africa is a charity that provides education, healthcare and resources to vulnerable children in Swaziland. A Week 4 Life works to educate students and the community on sexual health and HIV and AIDS.

Marcus Lim

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...