Academics, Campus Life, Construction, News

Groundbreaking launches School of Architecture studio construction

Guests gather to celebrate the ground breaking of the Thomas P. Murphy Design Studio near the School of Architecture Wednesday afternoon. Giancarlo Falconi // Assistant Photo Editor

Guests gather to celebrate the groundbreaking of the Thomas P. Murphy Design Studio near the School of Architecture on Wednesday afternoon. Giancarlo Falconi // Assistant Photo Editor

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Thomas P. Murphy Design Studio Building, highlighting the building’s function and transformative significance to the School of Architecture, was held on Wednesday afternoon.

The building is the result of a $3.5 million gift from Coastal Construction and is named after the father of the company’s president and CEO, Thomas P. Murphy Jr. The building will be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certified and feature about 20,000 square feet of space, including outdoor workspaces. The space will fit more than 120 students and will have a fabrication lab, state-of-the-art work stations, a student lounge, a computer lab, presentation areas and review spaces.

According to the School of Architecture’s dean, Rodolphe el-Khoury, the new building will bring students together and change the way professors in the School of Architecture teach.

“Through learning by making, this building will be the catalyst for the school’s evolution,” he said.

Stuart Miller, chairman of the school’s Board of Trustees, singled out Murphy Jr., a UM alumnus, as a part of the university’s efforts to keep their legacy connected to the community. Miller believes that the building will mark the next leap forward for the School of Architecture.

“At the heart and soul of what’s important to the university is the building process,” Miller said.

President Julio Frenk spoke about the school’s specialization in generating environments that are accessible and beneficial to the community and how the new building will emphasize this.

“Innovative leaders are creating the next generation of transformative students,” President Frenk said of Murphy and his company’s contribution.

A team from architecture firm Arquitectonica, led by School of Architecture adjunct faculty member Raymond Fort and founding Principal Bernardo Fort-Brescia, crafted the building’s design.

Murphy Jr.’s contribution to the design studio was based on the idea of collaboration. His goal is to induce collaborative efforts through the open-space design of the structure.

Jorge Chabo

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...