Academics, Campus Life, Construction, News

Groundbreaking launches School of Architecture studio construction

Guests gather to celebrate the ground breaking of the Thomas P. Murphy Design Studio near the School of Architecture Wednesday afternoon. Giancarlo Falconi // Assistant Photo Editor

Guests gather to celebrate the groundbreaking of the Thomas P. Murphy Design Studio near the School of Architecture on Wednesday afternoon. Giancarlo Falconi // Assistant Photo Editor

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Thomas P. Murphy Design Studio Building, highlighting the building’s function and transformative significance to the School of Architecture, was held on Wednesday afternoon.

The building is the result of a $3.5 million gift from Coastal Construction and is named after the father of the company’s president and CEO, Thomas P. Murphy Jr. The building will be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certified and feature about 20,000 square feet of space, including outdoor workspaces. The space will fit more than 120 students and will have a fabrication lab, state-of-the-art work stations, a student lounge, a computer lab, presentation areas and review spaces.

According to the School of Architecture’s dean, Rodolphe el-Khoury, the new building will bring students together and change the way professors in the School of Architecture teach.

“Through learning by making, this building will be the catalyst for the school’s evolution,” he said.

Stuart Miller, chairman of the school’s Board of Trustees, singled out Murphy Jr., a UM alumnus, as a part of the university’s efforts to keep their legacy connected to the community. Miller believes that the building will mark the next leap forward for the School of Architecture.

“At the heart and soul of what’s important to the university is the building process,” Miller said.

President Julio Frenk spoke about the school’s specialization in generating environments that are accessible and beneficial to the community and how the new building will emphasize this.

“Innovative leaders are creating the next generation of transformative students,” President Frenk said of Murphy and his company’s contribution.

A team from architecture firm Arquitectonica, led by School of Architecture adjunct faculty member Raymond Fort and founding Principal Bernardo Fort-Brescia, crafted the building’s design.

Murphy Jr.’s contribution to the design studio was based on the idea of collaboration. His goal is to induce collaborative efforts through the open-space design of the structure.

Jorge Chabo

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an offic ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...