Edge Briefs 10/22: Festival Miami, Colin Jost, Painting and Pitchers, ‘Ant-Man’

Festival Miami

From now until Nov. 7, Festival Miami is bringing a number of award-winning musicians to campus for a variety of concerts from jazz to Latin pop. Notable concerts include three-time Latin Grammy Award winner Natalia Lafourcade’s performance on Friday, Frost Symphony Orchestra’s “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” concert on Halloween night and hip-hop violin and viola duo Black Violin on Nov. 1.

A Night of Comedy with Colin Jost

Hurricane Productions, Student Government and the Rathskeller Advisory Board are hosting a comedy night with “Saturday Night Live” (SNL) writer and comedian Colin Jost on Thursday. Jost is in his third season as co-anchor of SNL’s “Weekend Update.” He has been nominated for several Emmy Awards for his writing on SNL and starred in the film “Staten Island Summer.” The event begins at 9 p.m. at the Rat.

Painting and Pitchers

Pick up a paintbrush and a pitcher of beer (or your favorite beverage) for an evening of art at the Rat on Friday. Show off your artsy side by painting your own masterpiece with friends at one of the two sessions at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. For those who are less artistically inclined, professionals will be available to help.

“Ant-Man”

The Cosford Cinema is showing Disney Studios and Marvel’s “Ant-Man” on Oct. 24 at 9:30 p.m. The movie follows master thief Scott Lang’s adventures as he uses his ability to shrink in size and increase in power. With Dr. Hank Pym, the two set out to protect the Ant-Man suit and encounter numerous obstacles and threats as they attempt to master a plan that can save the world.

Julia Garcia, creater and founder of Truality, shares a spoken word piece about her personal experiences in college as a way to motivate students to make positive decisions, especially when consuming alcohol. Alexis McDonald // Contributing Photographer

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...