Playwright group Astonishing Idiots produces plays of all subjects, genres

No one would argue that William Shakespeare and Tennessee Williams were dumb. But if these famous writers had been Canes in 2015, they could have been Astonishing Idiots; members of UM’s student collective for aspiring playwrights.

Astonishing Idiots was formed last year by members of UM’s advanced playwriting class as an outlet both to showcase their work and to refine it through performance.

“We operate almost as a theater troupe,” said senior Natalie Hilvert, a member of the group. “Each week, we bring in scenes that we have written. We do readings and provide feedback to each other in order to improve our work.”

Twice a semester, Astonishing Idiots produces an evening of their best short works, spanning all genres and subjects. The first this year will be on Oct. 27 at Open Stage Club on Miracle Mile.

“While we usually feature comedic scripts, this show, we are trying to push boundaries a little bit more in order to challenge our audiences,” previewed Hilvert.

The showcase is still in the planning stages, but the Idiots are hard at work preparing for the performance.

“As of right now, we are simply critiquing each others’ scenes to get them performance-ready,” Hilvert said. “Once we get closer to the show, we will choose actors and directors to stage the pieces and eventually run the performance in its entirety.”

This month’s show will also feature the winning script from the campus-wide playwriting competition that Astonishing Idiots sponsored last year.

Part of the learning process for the playwrights is determining how to raise the profile of Astonishing Idiots and build a base of audience support.

“Last year, we had great turnouts at some shows and some shows were not as successful,” said Hilvert. “We’re trying to figure out what people want to see. We really want people to see our work and know about what we do.”

Madelyn Paquette

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...