Football, Sports

Senior linebacker Raphael Kirby out for season

Kirby

Kirby

Senior linebacker and team captain Raphael Kirby is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, the team announced Sunday night.

Kirby left the field at the 6:54 mark in the third quarter of Miami’s 30-20 win over Virginia Tech on Saturday. Kirby, who leads the Hurricanes with 44 tackles, was running toward tight end Kevin Cline when his right knee buckled. The leader of the defense did not even wait until the end of the play to call Miami’s trainers onto the field.

“I’m crushed,” Head Coach Al Golden said in a teleconference call Sunday night. “He represents what we want in a Miami Hurricane. He’s a leader, unselfish and a big part of who we are.”

Kirby will undergo major season-ending surgery on Wednesday. The 6-foot-1, 238-pound native of Stone Mountain, Georgia is the third Canes linebacker lost for the season. Sophomore Darrion Owens is out for the year with a knee injury of his own, and sophomore Marques Gayot suffered a season-ending neck injury in practice nearly a month ago.

Golden said sophomore defensive lineman Trent Harris and redshirt freshman Terry McCray are capable of playing Kirby’s “Mike” linebacker role. Sophomore linebacker Juwon Young came in for Kirby against the Hokies and made his first career interception shortly after entering the game.

“Kirby’s always telling me to stay on his level, so I try to beat him out at practice, and it just helped me a lot in the game when it was my time,” Young said after Saturday’s game. “I got to be the captain [with Kirby out]. That’s it. Point blank, period. I’m the ‘Mike’ of the defense.”

Kirby was one of 51 players named to the preseason watch list for the 2015 Butkus Award, which is given to the top linebacker in college football.

Mark Singer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...