Football, Sports

Senior linebacker Raphael Kirby out for season

Kirby

Kirby

Senior linebacker and team captain Raphael Kirby is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, the team announced Sunday night.

Kirby left the field at the 6:54 mark in the third quarter of Miami’s 30-20 win over Virginia Tech on Saturday. Kirby, who leads the Hurricanes with 44 tackles, was running toward tight end Kevin Cline when his right knee buckled. The leader of the defense did not even wait until the end of the play to call Miami’s trainers onto the field.

“I’m crushed,” Head Coach Al Golden said in a teleconference call Sunday night. “He represents what we want in a Miami Hurricane. He’s a leader, unselfish and a big part of who we are.”

Kirby will undergo major season-ending surgery on Wednesday. The 6-foot-1, 238-pound native of Stone Mountain, Georgia is the third Canes linebacker lost for the season. Sophomore Darrion Owens is out for the year with a knee injury of his own, and sophomore Marques Gayot suffered a season-ending neck injury in practice nearly a month ago.

Golden said sophomore defensive lineman Trent Harris and redshirt freshman Terry McCray are capable of playing Kirby’s “Mike” linebacker role. Sophomore linebacker Juwon Young came in for Kirby against the Hokies and made his first career interception shortly after entering the game.

“Kirby’s always telling me to stay on his level, so I try to beat him out at practice, and it just helped me a lot in the game when it was my time,” Young said after Saturday’s game. “I got to be the captain [with Kirby out]. That’s it. Point blank, period. I’m the ‘Mike’ of the defense.”

Kirby was one of 51 players named to the preseason watch list for the 2015 Butkus Award, which is given to the top linebacker in college football.

Mark Singer

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...