Edge, Food

Newbie’s guide to Indian cuisine in Miami

For anyone looking to add a little spice to their life, Indian food can do just the trick. With staples like naan (oven-baked flatbread), flavorful protein dishes like chole (spicy chickpeas) and a variety of vegetable and meat curries, Indian food can leave your stomach full and your palate happy. For vegetarians and vegans, there are many flavorful dishes without meat, too. Although India may be more than 9,000 miles away, Miami has plenty of great Indian restaurants. Here’s your guide to some of the city’s Indian offerings to satisfy your craving for the flavors of this exotic cuisine.

Bollywood Masala

For a spot that’s cheap and fast, but still bursting with flavor, Bollywood Masala is the place to go. No more than 10 minutes away from campus, this fast-food style restaurant offers diners the opportunity to experience traditional Indian food in a contemporary setting. Ranging from modern dishes like lamb and chicken tikka wraps to more standard Indian cuisine like paneer makhani (cheese in a creamy sauce) and mango lassi (a yogurt-based drink), Bollywood Masala’s fusion of exotic spices, fresh vegetables and authentic flavors is sure to keep you coming back for more.

Bollywood Masala is located at 7400 S.W. 57th Ave., Unit 4 in Miami.

Taste Buds of India

Boasting some of the best online reviews among Indian restaurants in Miami, Taste Buds of India offers individuals an authentic Indian dining experience, complete with excellent service and a cosmopolitan ambience. Although it’s on the pricy side, Taste Buds of India remains true to its promise: each dish is carefully thought out, taking full account of the freshness and seasonality of local ingredients. For those looking for something a little out of the box, Taste Buds of India also has a specialty Indo-Chinese menu featuring tasty fusion dishes like Gobi Manchurian (fried cauliflower) and hakka noodles.

Taste Buds of India is located at 5850 Sunset Drive in South Miami.

Zaika

With their executive chef hailing straight from the world renowned Taj Mahal hotel in India, this five-star rated restaurant offers a unique contemporary twist on traditional Indian dishes. One of Zaika’s strong points is its accommodating menu, including gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options that can be made to order. With high customer satisfaction and excellent service, this hole-in-the-wall restaurant is not to be overlooked.

Zaika is located at 2176 N.E. 123rd St. in North Miami.

Ayesha Saffron

Indian Restaurant

If you’re ever around Key Biscayne, this tasty little restaurant is a must on your to-do list. Offering a cozy and well-lit ambience, the intimacy of Ayesha’s dining experience is one of its key highlights. Despite being a little less affordable, Ayesha makes good use out of the abundance of fresh local seafood, featuring dishes like saffron mussel stew and shrimp madras in a curry sauce.

Ayesha is located at the Galleria Shopping Center, 328 Crandon Blvd. in Key Biscayne.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user LoggaWiggler

Ramya Radhakrishnan