Community, Crime and Safety, News

City of Coral Gables swears in Edward J. Hudak, Jr. as Police Chief

police_chief_swearing_in

Hudak, Jr.

The City of Coral Gables held a Swearing-in Ceremony for newly appointed Police Chief Edward J. Hudak, Jr. on Friday, Oct. 16, in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center Grand Ballroom. The hour-long ceremony consisted of an invocation from former pastor of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Coral Gables, Arnold Perry, oath remarks from City Manager Cathy Swanson-Rivenbark and remarks from the appointed chief himself, Edward J. Hudak, Jr. The event was led by the master of ceremonies, Pam Giganti, an NBC 6 news anchor and longtime friend of Hudak.

Hudak has been at CGPD since 1988 and was interim police chief for the last year before being given the permanent title in September. He has undergraduate and masters degrees from the University of Miami.

Giganti began the ceremony with a string of anecdotes detailing the various situations in which she would find herself asking, “what does Ed have to say?” The presentation of colors was then led by Sergeant Maurice Sikes and followed by both the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance.

Swanson-Rivenbark spoke about the many departments of Coral Gables and their accomplishments in the past 90 years, since the city’s creation.

“Each department, well represented, will take a quiet oath along with Chief Hudak,” she said.

As Hudak came up to take his oath into office, he was accompanied by his wife, Mrs. Alina Hudak, and his two daughters, Kristina Hudak and Jennifer Hudak, for the pinning of the badge.

Due to an emergency, guest speaker James K. Loftus was unable to attend the ceremony. In his place was Florida state attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle. Rundle spoke of the many attributes and accomplishments of Hudak throughout both his time as a student at at the UM and in his career in law enforcement for the City of Coral Gables.

Rundle said Hudak had three values in his life, “his family, the City of Coral Gables, and The University of Miami.”

Afterwards, Hudak came up to give his remarks. He spoke of his time at UM and how the school kept him here in Coral Gables, a city that eventually became his new home. Originally from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Hudak talked about coming from a European immigrant family and how being married to a Cuban influenced his life.

Hudak commented on the recent Black Lives Matter movement and stated that although black lives do in fact matter, so do “blue lives;” the lives of law enforcement. Chief Hudak understands the problems facing the department and pledges to be “the same Ed Hudak he always was.”

Newly appointed Coral Gables Police Chief, Edward J. Hudak, Jr., is sworn in during a ceremony held at the Shalala Student Center Friday. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Jorge Chabo

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “City of Coral Gables swears in Edward J. Hudak, Jr. as Police Chief”

1. Nancy Sampson Craft says:

Your article re: Chief Hudak, Jr. was shared by an alumni group with a group of Miami High School alumni.
    How a rip roaring Miami Edison High School grad of “55” started receiving emails has been wonderful as I’m hearing the same wonderful stories of my life, from birth, in Dade County, just at the other end, Biscayne Park (between North Miami and Miami Shores. It was country life back then and country life for me. The freedom we had growing up in Miami was fantastic. As a 1st and 2nd grader I could take a bus two blocks from Miami Shores Elementary School to my dads store on 12th St. and Miami Ave. with no fears of walking through a commercial district the two blocks. The same when mama would let me catch the bus, transfer in Little River to my dads Sampson and Sons Livestock Mkt. on 79th St. just past 27th Ave. on sales day. Bet you didn’t know there was 34 dairies in Dade Co. during this time. This doesn’t even touch the beaches, the parks, the Orange Bowl Parade, our intense high school football games of up to 30,000 spectators held at the Orange Bowl. Nobody believes it, check the statistics. It is wonderful to hear these treasured cities within Dade Co. still surviving and citizens maintaining Dade County’s heritage.
    Congrats to your new Chief of Police Hurdak. Keep Coral Gables as beautiful as my memories. Nancy Sampson Craft, Hardee County Fla, west of Sebring, south of Polk Co.