Edge, Music

Festival Miami brings variety of genres, performers to campus

Festival Miami is a musical event that takes place at the University of Miami every year, bringing top performers to campus. The musical artists, who create sounds that make you feel like you have reached nirvana, will begin performing on Oct. 16 up until November.

The event is held by the Frost School of Music, and was started to encourage an appreciation of varied styles of music in all of South Florida. The creative sounds include violin, jazz, hip-hop and pop, among others. This year’s festival plans to focus on five main topics: Creative American Music, Great Performances, Jazz and Beyond, Master Classes and Music of the Americas.

Charles Castleman, the university’s very own internationally-acclaimed musician, will be performing a violin ensemble.

Singer and actress Freda Payne, best known for her 1970 hit “Band of Gold,” will be making an appearance along with other recognizable names like Black Violin, a Floridian hip-hop duo and Mexican pop-rock singer Natalia Lafourcade.

In addition to bringing in musical talent from around the world, Festival Miami also offers an opportunity toor students to show off their skills, allowing them to reach a wider audience, gain experience and make a name for themselves.

“Festival Miami upholds the University of Miami Frost School of Music’s mission to provide students with a highly innovative, inspiring and relevant education so that they can be leaders in the world of music,” Festival Miami’s website states.

Concerts will be held at Gusman Hall, Clarke Recital Hall, the Adrienne Arsht Center and John S. and James L. Knight Concert Hall.

Tickets must be purchased before each show. Students with a Cane ID can attend some for free. For more information and tickets, visit here.

Nadijah Campbell

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...