Blogs, U Musings

U Musings: Embracing my inner nerd through cross-disciplinary subjects

I’ve always known I was a grade-A nerd, but nothing makes that more apparent to me and everyone around me than when I notice cross-disciplinary subjects. I get so excited when something taught to me in one class is utilized in another. One example is Logic Design and Introduction to Linear Algebra.

I was sitting in Logic Design, wishing I was somewhere else as our teacher explained decoders to the class. He explained how a decoder takes the inputs and isolates each output variable in one equation by itself. As I watched him explain this, it suddenly occurred to me that this was an identity matrix! An identity matrix is a matrix with an equal length and height, with ones on the diagonal and zeros everywhere else.

identity matrix

Identity matrices

It’s so cool that there’s a connection between classes that seem totally unrelated. I couldn’t keep the information to myself! Naturally, I turned to my buddy to give her the good news. After all, we were both suffering, and clearly this tidbit of information would make the lesson a bit more bearable. After I told her about this exciting connection, she turned to me and said, “What?”

So I repeated myself, describing to her the wondrous connection I made. She turned back to the board, again processed what I said, then turned back to me and said, “Oh. I never would’ve noticed that.” She then returned to taking notes.

It was then I knew that I shouldn’t be nearly as excited that decoders produce identity matrices, but I was. It was like my excitement was the evil inside Pandora’s box. Since I’d unwittingly opened it, I struggled for a way to close the lid. I eventually managed to reign in my excitement, but not before I was reminded of how truly nerdy I can be.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user kaboompics.

Virginia Colkley

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...