UM Sports Hall of Fame announces 2016 Class

Photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced its Class of 2016 inductees Wednesday afternoon. The list of former Hurricane greats includes Willis McGahee, Kellen Winslow and Jon Jay among others.

Here is the press release containing information on all of the inductees.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced its Class of 2016 inductees for the 48th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet this coming Spring.

Headlining the class are 2001 football National Champions Willis McGahee and Joaquin Gonzalez; Will Allen, Miami’s first African-American basketball player, and World Series Champion Jon Jay. The stellar class includes women’s tennis great Megan Bradley, football’s John Mackey Award winner Kellen Winslow, women’s basketball’s all-time leading scorer Tamara James and two-time National Champion swimming coach Charlie Hodgson.

“The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to introduce its 2016 induction class that once again represents some of the finest athletes and coaches to wear the Orange, Green and White,” said UMSHoF President Gerard Loisel. “We are proud to recognize their accomplishments as we welcome them into the UM Sports Hall of Fame.” 

This year’s class will be formally introduced at halftime of the Miami-Clemson football game on Saturday, October 23 as part of the “Hall of Fame Game” ceremonies.

“The UM Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2016 is representative of the excellence displayed by the thousands of Hurricane coaches and athletes over the years,” Athletics Director Blake James said. “The individuals to be honored in April achieved remarkable success during their time in Coral Gables and, for many, on fields and courts well beyond South Florida.  On behalf of the Hurricane Family, I want to congratulate all of the inductees and to thank them for their contributions to The U.”  

The 48th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet will be held in April 2016; for information please contact the UMSHoF at 305-284-2775.

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame is a non-profit organization founded in 1966 by eight Dade County Circuit Court judges, all Miami alumni, who wanted to establish an organization that would recognize those student-athletes, coaches and administrators who excelled at their sport and brought acclaim to the University through their achievements and championships. With the addition of the Class of 2016, only 300 honorees will have been inducted into the Hall.

Will Allen                     Basketball                  1969-1971

Miami’s first African-American basketball player, Allen finished his career as Miami’s sixth-leading scorer and 45 years later is still its second-leading rebounder. One of the world’s preeminent practitioners of urban agriculture, Will was awarded the 2008 John D. and Katherine T. MacArthur “Genius Grant,” and in 2010 Time Magazine named him to their list of ‘The World’s 100 Most Influential People.’ Miami’s 2010 ACC Legend, Allen was the 2011 recipient of the Theodore Roosevelt Award, the highest honor bestowed by the NCAA, and was enshrined in its Hall of Champions.

Megan Bradley            Tennis                        2002-2005

A two-time All-American (2004 & 2005) at Miami, Megan’s 2004-05 season was one for the record books as she set a UM single-season wins record with 44 victories in 46 matches. Megan won the 2004 ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Singles Championship and reached the 2005 NCAA singles tournament semifinals, as well as the NCAA doubles quarterfinals. 

Joaquin Gonzalez        Football                    1997-2001

A two-time All-American and one of the captains for Miami’s 2001 National Championship team, Gonzalez set a then-school record with his 49th consecutive start against Nebraska in the 2002 Rose Bowl game. He is the only offensive lineman in BIG EAST Conference history to earn Rookie of the Year (1998) and was a two-time first team All-BIG EAST selection (2000 & 2001). Joaquin won the 2001 Draddy Award (now named The William V. Campbell Trophy), presented by the National Football Foundation and considered college football’s “Academic Heisman.”

Charlie Hodgson         Swimming Coach    1973-1986

Charlie was front and center to the greatest era in Hurricane Swimming and helped develop some of UM’s finest swimmers. He was the top assistant to Coach Bill Diaz and also served at various times as both men’s and women’s head coach, with the women winning back-to-back National Championships in 1975 and 1976 under his guidance. With the men, Charlie helped develop David Wilkie and Matt Gribble into World Record Holders, World Champions and Olympians. During his tenure, dozens of Hurricane swimmers were named All-Americans and 17 individual and relay National Champions were crowned.

Tamara James            Basketball                2002-2006

Miami women’s basketball’s all-time leading scorer with 2,406 points, Tamara averaged 20.4 points per game over her career, 3rd highest average behind only UM greats Maria Rivera and Francis Savage. She was a three-time first team all-conference selection, twice in the ACC (2004-05, 2005-06) and once in the BIG EAST (2003-04) and was named an Associated Press honorable mention All-American three times. James also holds UM records for most free throws attempted and made, is third in career free throw percentage (.783) and is sixth in career steals.

Jon Jay                        Baseball                    2004-2006

One of the most consistent hitters in UM history, Jay has the 4th highest career batting average (.378) and the 5th highest career hit total (254 hits). A two-time first team All-ACC selection (2005 & 2006), he was named a Baseball Americasecond team All-American in 2006. Jay’s .408 batting average in 2005 is the 7th highest in school history. He led the team in hitting in both 2005 (.408) and 2006 (.361), as well as leading in stolen bases (31) in 2006, and his two 17-game hit streaks are both ranked in the Top 10. A second round pick of the St. Louis Cardinals, Jon helped the Cards win the 2011 World Series.

Willis McGahee           Football                    2000-2002

A consensus first team All-American in 2002, Willis was named the 2002 BIG EAST Co-Offensive Player of the Year and was a finalist for the Doak Walker and Walter Camp Player of the Year Awards. In 2002 he rushed for 1,753 yards on 282 carries (6.2 avg.) and scored 28 touchdowns, setting UM records in all three categories, one of only five players in college football history to have 1,500-plus yards and 25-plus touchdowns in a season.

Kellen Winslow           Football                    2001-2003

A consensus first team All-American in 2003, Kellen was the winner of the 2003 John Mackey Award as college football’s best tight end. A unanimous first team All-BIG EAST selection, he led the team in receptions in 2003 with 60 catches, the second most in school history by a tight end. He finished his career with 119 catches, the most by a tight end and 5th most in UM history.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com.