Coconut Grove offers diverse dining, parks, boutiques

Miami is home to diverse cultures, delectable foods and an upbeat nightlife. Walking down Ocean Drive on South Beach or strolling through parts of Brickell near downtown is a great way to take in the city sites. But for something off the beaten path where time ticks just a tad slower, the answer is Coconut Grove.

Coconut Grove was founded in 1825 by Bahamian immigrants and is one of Miami’s original neighborhoods. Located on the bay, this quaint village is native to marinas lined with sailboats and oceanside bars serving fresh caught seafood daily. “The Grove,” as many locals refer to it, offers amazing restaurants, parks, clothing stores and bars.

Greenstreet Café, located at 3468 Main Hwy, is in the heart of Coconut Grove. The restaurant is best known for its mouthwatering Nutella Filled French Toast priced at $8.50 and the classic Eggs Benedict served with hollandaise sauce and a side of potatoes for $12.

Photo by Melissa Soto

Photo by Melissa Soto

Locals and tourists alike flock to this restaurant daily for its extensive breakfast menu and tasty mimosas. This eclectic outdoor/indoor restaurant allows for the perfect people-watching spot, which usually includes cyclists, runners and dog walkers.

Riley Banciella, a Miami local, shared the Eggs Benedict for brunch with tourist Sumire Kawaguchi, who was visiting from Osaka, Japan.

“Although I look like I can eat a lot, this dish was the perfect size for me. It was filling in just the right way,” said Banciella.

“The portions are much larger here than in Japan but made with plenty of flavor,” Kawaguchi said.

Walking off breakfast in this pedestrian-friendly neighborhood is quite common. Located about a mile north of Greenstreet Café, visitors and Miami natives can spontaneously loose track of time while making their way to the famous David T. Kennedy Park. Conveniently situated on the water, the park is the perfect spot for a day full of outdoor activities. Volleyball games and bike rentals are but a few pastimes that can be enjoyed there.

If the weather is not suitable for a day at the park, then the shops at CocoWalk are a nice alternative. Set in the center of the hippie atmosphere of Coconut Grove, CocoWalk provides a groovy shopping experience with surf shop, Maui Nix and fashionable boutiques like Divine Clothes.

Boutiques throughout CocoWalk can be a bit pricey, but with some perseverance, a sale can be found. Restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory and Cinepolis Coconut Grove, along with the local movie theater, are located on the second and third floor of the shopping center.

Coconut Grove has plenty of gems waiting to be discovered by visitors from all around the world. Although the time seems to pass by more slowly, there is always something to do in this bohemian-styled escape from the rest of the Miami scene.

Melissa Soto

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...