Campus Life, Health, News

Cobb Fountain turns pink for breast cancer awareness month

In support of Breast Cancer Awareness, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority lights Lake Osceola's fountain pink Monday evening.  Evelyn Choi // Contributing Photographer

In support of Breast Cancer Awareness, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority lights Lake Osceola’s fountain pink Monday evening. Evelyn Choi // Contributing Photographer

Members of the sorority Zeta Tau Alpha and the Director of the Miami Institute for the Americas at the University of Miami, Felicia Knaul, turned the Cobb Fountain pink for the first time in honor of breast cancer awareness month.

“[Lake Osceola] is in many senses the center of a great university. The heart and soul of this great university,” Knaul said. “Water represents healing, represents calm, represents thought and I think the healing piece of this is we’ve lost many women and some men to this disease, and we have to honor and heal around that loss.”

Prior to the lighting, Knaul shared her personal journey with breast cancer. In 2003, Knaul and her family were living in Mexico City when she had her first baseline mammogram and discovered that she had cancer in her left breast. Knaul told the audience—made up of ZTA sisters, students, faculty and administrators holding pink light-up foam sticks—that when she was first diagnosed, she rejected chemotherapy treatment for months. She decided to go through with treatment after thinking about the women living in Mexico City who did not have the choice to say “yes” or “no.”

“She didn’t have a choice because either she couldn’t afford the care or she had arrived so late in the process that it wouldn’t do her any good. Or, most likely, she had no place to leave her two young children,” Knaul said.

Members of Zeta Tau Alpha pose with President Frenk and Dr. Knaul during the Lake Osceola fountain lighting ceremony Monday night. Evelyn Choi // Contributing Photographer

Members of Zeta Tau Alpha pose with President Frenk and MIA Director Felicia Knaul during the Lake Osceola fountain lighting ceremony Monday night. Evelyn Choi // Contributing Photographer

In Mexico, breast cancer is the second leading cause of death in women between the ages of 35 and 50. Around the world, late detection makes breast cancer one of the leading killers of women.

The fountain lighting is one of many events that ZTA will host as part of their philanthropic efforts to spread awareness about breast cancer.

The co-chair of philanthropy for ZTA, Sara Guido, had a personal connection with the cause: her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer when Guido was a sophomore in high school. Guido’s mother underwent a double mastectomy, but she survived.

“It’s very hard to watching anyone you know go through a difficult experience. I’m so thankful to everyone who works on early detection because that’s what saved my mom and saves so many women like her,” she said.

ZTA’s Think Pink week officially kicks off on Monday, Oct. 12. From 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Shake Shack (1450 S Dixie Highway) will be donating 20 percent of their proceeds to breast cancer research. For more information on Think Pink events, visit the ZTA Facebook page.

Alexis McDonald

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...