News Briefs 10/5: Cobb Fountain Turns Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness, Screening Showcases Pakistani Activist Malala Yousafzai, Flick Football Tournament

Cobb Fountain Turns Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness

The Cobb Fountain will turn pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month this Monday, Oct. 5. Zeta Tau Alpha sorority will host the Think Pink event at 7:30 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio Stage. UM President Julio Frenk and First Lady Felicia Knaul will be in attendance at the lighting. Knaul is a breast cancer survivor and authored a book about her experience called “Beauty Without the Breast.”

Screening Showcases Pakistani Activist Malala Yousafzai

Cosford Cinema will present an advanced screening of the film “He Named Me Malala” at 9 p.m. on Tuesday. Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate. The Taliban failed in their attempt to assassinate her following a rise in prominence of her advocacy. The film documents her growth in importance as a leading advocate for children’s and women’s rights.

Flick Football Tournament

Alumni Mike Cody competes in the Flick Football Tournament during the Cincinnati Watch Party Thursday at the Rathskeller. Participating students had the chance to win tickets to the upcoming football game against FSU and a hotel stay in Tallahassee. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

Alumnus Mike Cody competes in the Flick Football Tournament during the Cincinnati Watch Party Thursday at the Rathskeller. Participating students had the chance to win tickets to the upcoming football game against FSU and a hotel stay in Tallahassee. Erum Kidwai // Contributing Photographer

William Riggin

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...