Despite numerous resources, smoke-free campus needs full student support

Iwasn’t long ago when a cloud of smoke greeted you anytime you walked out of class. But throughout the past few years, this trend has drastically changed. Thanks to the efforts of the Breathe Freely campaign, the Coral Gables campus has been declared smoke-free and now provides an environment that is healthier for all.

But have we eradicated smoking completely? Quite simply, no. Smoking has now retreated to a few areas on campus, but we recognize its impact on our campus community as a whole.

As such, the Healthy Cane Network, a team of UM departments dedicated to health and wellness on campus, is implementing more than twenty different tobacco prevention initiatives and activities at UM in this semester alone.

Departments like Student Health Services, Wellness and Recreation (Herbert Wellness Center), the Dean of Students Office (PIER 21) and Housing and Residential Life consistently collaborate to develop programs designed to inform the campus about the smoke-free policy, as well as highlight quit resources available on campus. The School of Nursing and Health Studies and the Area Health Education Center, members of the Healthy Cane Network, also provide quit resources to the UM community.

In addition to campus communication efforts including digital signage, table tents, yard signs, light pole banners, e-newsletters and Truth Campaign videos, HCN departments come together to host events like the Great American Smokeout and campus-wide cigarette butt pick-ups. These events aim to raise awareness of the smoke-free policy and encourage the entire campus community to get involved in the smoke-free initiative.

But our efforts are not solely focused on informing the campus community of the smoke-free policy. HCN departments offer resources designed to help smokers kick the habit. Classes like BeSmokeFree Quit Now, offered at the Herbert Wellness Center, and counseling available at the Student Health Center are free resources available to students looking to quit.

Is completely eliminating smoking on campus an easy task? Absolutely not. We all need to do our part. If you walk past a smoker, ask them to stop. It is not just the responsibility of Student Affairs or Human Resources staff and administrators to do so. We have absolutely done our best, but we need the entire community to be committed and help in this effort.

We are not going to see results overnight, and that is okay. Change takes time, but in the long run, we know it will be worth it.

Dr. Patricia Whitely is the vice president for student affairs at the University of Miami.

Scott Levin is the executive director for the department of wellness and recreation.

Patricia A. Whitely

Vice President, Student Affairs

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The University of Miami track and field team will wrap up the 2017 outdoor track and field regular s ...

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a weekend series with host Boston College b ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...