Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Annual report documents campus crime and safety trends

The University of Miami released its annual crime and fire safety report on Thursday. It documented a decline in liquor and drug law violations from 2013-14, and a rise in reports of a forcible sex offense, domestic violence and dating violence.

The report is made available each year through the Jeanne Clery Act of 1990, which requires any college or university that receives federal funding to share information about crime on campus.

The “Comprehensive Combined Annual Security Report & Annual Fire Safety Report” showed 277 liquor law violations in 2014, down from 414 the year before, with no arrests reported compared to one in 2013. Drug law violations on campus dipped from 166 in 2013, to 133 in 2014. There were 19 on-campus drug arrests in 2014 compared to 24 in 2013.

UM Police Department crime logs from Aug. 18 to Oct. 1 of this year show 11 reports of drug-related violations on campus so far in the fall academic semester; 19 on-campus drug arrests were made in 2014.

Forcible sex offenses on campus went up from four in 2013 to five in 2014, with one case being reported as “unfounded.” Four of the five cases were reported in student residencies, where the one “unfounded” case occurred. Three instances of domestic violence were reported in 2014 after none were reported in 2013, while occurrences of dating violence also rose from zero to two at the school’s main campus. Eight cases of stalking were reported in 2014 on the Coral Gables campus – the same as 2013.

In the crime logs of Aug. 18 to Oct. 1, there was one report of sexual assault, one of domestic violence and one of a sexual offense.

Robbery and burglary cases declined from two and 15 in 2013, to one and 10 in 2014, respectively. One motor vehicle theft was reported in 2014, down from two in 2013. Reports of aggravated assault increased to five on campus, compared to three the year before.

Crime logs show 21 reports of “theft” or “auto theft” in the period of Aug. 18 to Oct. 1, although some of the thefts allegedly occurred prior to the period when it was reported.

There were three reports of “possession of a fake driver license,” one report of criminal mischief, one report of vandalism and two reports of simple battery. One instance of battery on a law enforcement officer and resisting with violence was also reported.

Two fires were reported at Coral Gables campus housing facilities in 2014, including one classified as arson in Walsh Tower at the Stanford Residential College. The other was classified as an electrical fire.

One religious hate crime was reported as intimidation in 2014.

For the entire 53-page report, visit http://www.miami.edu/asr.

William Riggin

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...