Baseball, Sports

Donation fund set up to support Willie Abreu’s family

While the Hurricanes baseball team was gearing up for their first appearance in the College World Series since 2008 last May, outfielder Willie Abreu was dealing with a stroke his mother, Rosie, suffered that put her in the hospital for months.

Rosie Abreu suffered a stroke on May 25 and required emergency brain surgery. Now a donation fund has been set up to support Abreu and his family as they try to recover. Rosie is no longer in the hospital, but the family still needs help paying medical costs and ongoing therapy.

“In an effort to support Willie, Rosie and his family during the difficult time, a donation fund has been set up to help pay for the Abreu’s medical bills,” the University of Miami said in a press release. “Checks can be made out to Manuel Abreu, Willie’s father and Rosie’s husband, and must be delivered to assistant communications director Camron Ghorbi. Checks can be sent to Camron at 5821 San Amaro Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146 or may be delivered in person to the Hecht Athletic Center.”

Mark Singer

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...