Baseball, Sports

Donation fund set up to support Willie Abreu’s family

While the Hurricanes baseball team was gearing up for their first appearance in the College World Series since 2008 last May, outfielder Willie Abreu was dealing with a stroke his mother, Rosie, suffered that put her in the hospital for months.

Rosie Abreu suffered a stroke on May 25 and required emergency brain surgery. Now a donation fund has been set up to support Abreu and his family as they try to recover. Rosie is no longer in the hospital, but the family still needs help paying medical costs and ongoing therapy.

“In an effort to support Willie, Rosie and his family during the difficult time, a donation fund has been set up to help pay for the Abreu’s medical bills,” the University of Miami said in a press release. “Checks can be made out to Manuel Abreu, Willie’s father and Rosie’s husband, and must be delivered to assistant communications director Camron Ghorbi. Checks can be sent to Camron at 5821 San Amaro Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146 or may be delivered in person to the Hecht Athletic Center.”

Mark Singer

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...