Baseball, Sports

Donation fund set up to support Willie Abreu’s family

While the Hurricanes baseball team was gearing up for their first appearance in the College World Series since 2008 last May, outfielder Willie Abreu was dealing with a stroke his mother, Rosie, suffered that put her in the hospital for months.

Rosie Abreu suffered a stroke on May 25 and required emergency brain surgery. Now a donation fund has been set up to support Abreu and his family as they try to recover. Rosie is no longer in the hospital, but the family still needs help paying medical costs and ongoing therapy.

“In an effort to support Willie, Rosie and his family during the difficult time, a donation fund has been set up to help pay for the Abreu’s medical bills,” the University of Miami said in a press release. “Checks can be made out to Manuel Abreu, Willie’s father and Rosie’s husband, and must be delivered to assistant communications director Camron Ghorbi. Checks can be sent to Camron at 5821 San Amaro Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146 or may be delivered in person to the Hecht Athletic Center.”

Mark Singer

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...