Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

2015-16 Campus Safety Report shows rise in reported dating violence, drop in drug violations

Liquor and drug law violations and arrests both declined from 2013 to 2014 at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus, according to the annual crime and fire safety report released by the school Thursday. Reports of a forcible sex offense, domestic violence and dating violence all increased from 2013 to 2014.

Forcible sex offenses went up from four in 2013 to five in 2014 on campus, with one case being reported as “unfounded.” Four of the five cases were reported in student residencies, where the one “unfounded” case occurred. Three instances of domestic violence were reported in 2014 after none were reported in 2013, while occurrences of dating violence also rose from zero to two at the school’s main campus. Eight cases of stalking were reported in 2014 on the Coral Gables campus – the same as 2013.

The “Comprehensive Combined Annual Security Report & Annual Fire Safety Report” showed 277 liquor law violations in 2014, down from 414 the year before, with no arrests reported compared to one in 2013. Drug law violations on campus dipped from 166 in 2013, to 133 in 2014. There were 19 on-campus drug arrests in 2014 compared to 24 in 2013.

The report is made available each year through the Jeanne Clery Act of 1990, which requires any college or university that receives federal funding to share information about crime on campus.

Robbery and burglary cases declined from two and 15 in 2013, to one and 10 in 2014, respectively. One motor vehicle theft was reported in 2014, down from two in 2013. Reports of aggravated assault increased to five on campus, compared to three the year before.

Two fires were reported at Coral Gables campus housing facilities in 2014, including one classified as arson in Walsh Tower at the Stanford Residential College. The other was classified as an electrical fire.

One religious hate crime was reported as intimidation.

For the entire 53-page report, visit http://www.miami.edu/asr.

William Riggin

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...