Senate election results announced, Distraction Magazine, Ibis Yearbook referendum passed

landrachuk / Pixabay

Student Government Senate election results were announced at the Rock in front of over 50 students from various schools, organizations and constituents who came to see who would represent their voices.

The Senate will welcome 14 new members who will be sworn in at next Wednesday’s senate meeting. Thirteen are returning members who have either retained their seat or are now occupying a different position.

The results came after an election process that took place from Monday to Wednesday, with 2,681 votes cast in total. Students can vote for multiple positions, and the elections committee estimated that around 725 students voted.

Speaker of the Senate Jeffery Sznapstajler, who leads the weekly Senate meetings, is excited to welcome all new and returning members.

“It feels great to have new people. New people means new ideas and it’s never a bad thing to have new ideas,” Sznapstajler said. “I expect them, through innovative thinking, to keep pushing the university in a forward direction that represents the Hurricanes’ spirit.”

The newly elected senators will learn what is expected of them next Wednesday and the returning members are excited to retain their seats and bring more ideas to Senate.

“I’m ecstatic,” said Jackie Safstrom, a commuter senator who was re-elected to the position she has held since last year. “I feel honored and privileged that my constituency voted for me again and gave me another chance to serve them once more.”

The voting process also yielded good news for Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook. As per the referendum submitted, the Student Activity Fee will be raised by $1 each, with the proceeds going to the respective organizations in order to continue a rich tradition on campus.

The Distraction Magazine referendum passed by 53 to 47 percent and the Ibis Yearbook referendum passed by 59 percent to 41 percent.

“I am very happy, because it ensures the publication will continue long after I’m gone,” Rori Kotch, the editor-in-chief of Distraction magazine said.

The elected senators are as follows (* indicates a new senator):

College of Arts and Sciences Senator

Jacob Rudolph and Josh Zuchniarz

Commuter Senator

David Mejia, Adrian Nunez* and Jacqueline Safstrom

Fraternity Row Senator

Matthew Carmen*

Freshmen Class Senator

Meredith Woods Morris* and Shiyi Liu*

Frost School of Music Senator

Kieran Harrison*

Hecht Residential College Senator

Ryan Donahue*

Junior Class Senator

Kristin Cilluffo and Emeline Savidge*

Mahoney Residential College Senator

Christina Valcin*

Pearson Residential College Senator

Revanth Boda*

Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science Senator

Samuel May

School of Architecture Senator

Alex Underwood*

School of Business Administration Senator

Arthur Faria*

School of Communication Senator

Yuna Jo*

School of Education and Human Development Senator

Sandeep Dhingra

School of Nursing and Health Studies Senator

Amber Williams

Senior Class Senator

Melissa Wyatt and Charlotte Gerrity

Sophomore Class Senator

Jaclyn Wohn* and Henson Destine

Stanford Residential College Senator

Ali Shaikh*

University Village Senator

Hannah Abel

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user landrachuk.