Behind the Walls: Wynwood’s lesser-known delights

A fully immersive visit to Wynwood is about more than just the murals. It’s well known that the former warehouse district has turned into a street art mecca because of its outdoor artwork, but only experienced visitors know the fashion and culinary hot spots that thrive inside the painted walls.

EDGE_Wynwood_1Treats to Taste

Wynwood is perfect for hungry eyes and hungry bellies alike. The busy streets are budding with new restaurants that serve locally sourced, artistically crafted cuisine. The Lunchbox blends the best of worldwide food trends with the flavors of Miami. Menu highlights include everything from a charcuterie plate to the Wynwood Salad, which is a mix of kale, avocado, curried peas and spicy shrimp. Sandwiches are served on wooden boards with the restaurant’s logo branded into the side, and water comes in a mason jar.

If you’re still not satiated, head back to Mmmm, a restaurant that features ice cream flavors like cafe con leche and Nutella, or for extra goodness, one of the Mmmm sundaes. The chocolate chip sundae comes brimming with whipped cream, house-made ice cream and a chocolate chip cookie.

If veganism is more your speed, snack on raw chocolate cookies and milk from Jucy Lu. This hidden gem whips up some of the best smoothies and acai bowls in Miami. It’s also right across from Mister Block Cafe, a lesser-known but arguably equal alternative to Panther Coffee. Both spots are located by a shady seating area, so you can sip your smoothie or fresh brew while enjoying the outdoor murals.

EDGE_Wynwood_3Galleries to Glimpse

Some of Wynwood’s best artistic displays are safely housed inside air conditioned galleries, so you can enjoy some cool air after a meal outdoors. Across from the main exit of the Wynwood Walls is the inconspicuous GAB – a studio that entails a gallery and boutique in one. You can find everything from a human-sized print of goldfish in a jug to handcrafted bags made of soda tabs in this unique exhibition.

Just around the corner is O. Ascanio Gallery, home to eye-catching contemporary works and funky primary-colored sculptures. For art lovers with an eclectic taste, Gallery 212 is the ideal destination. Find everything from one-of-a-kind leather jackets to a giant sugar skull horse sculpture here.

Another favorite is Etra Fine Art, where texture, color and shape are given free reign. This gallery has greyscale abstract murals, bright blue molds of a ram’s head and even a bedazzled Buddha. Keep an eye out for more showrooms; there are easily 50 different galleries in the neighborhood.

EDGE_Wynwood_2Shops to Scout

Perhaps the most exciting aspect of Wynwood is its array of eclectic shops. For everything from screen-printed tees to handwoven bags, check out Frangipani’s colorful and quirky collection. Trendsetters with an eye for design will want to buy everything in the store.

If you’d rather put the design on your eyes, check out one of Wynwood’s sunglasses shops, like Illesteva, Warby Parker or Wynwood Shades. You can even find dorm decor in Wynwood. Moooi sells reasonably priced modernist knickknacks alongside pricey design pieces. Plant the Future sells the ever-trending succulent and cactus terrarium, one of which is in the shape of a stormtrooper helmet. Cover all of your stationary needs at Wynwood Letterpress, and when you’re all done, wash your hands with some authentic Australian soap at Aesop.

Popping into a few of these shops ties together a perfect day spent in Wynwood. After all, eating delicious food and shopping for unique trinkets beats getting whacked with a selfie stick at the Walls.

Photos by Contributing Photographer Haley Walker

Haley Walker

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...