Administration, News, Obituaries

Eugene Rothman, Miller Center associate director, passes away

UPDATE, 6:50 p.m.: A statement from Director of The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies Haim Shaked was added to this story.

Eugene Rothman died Saturday, according to a statement sent to school faculty from the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Leonidas Bachas. Rothman was the associate director for academic development of the College of Arts and Sciences George Feldenkreis Program in Judaic Studies and senior fellow at the Miller Center. He was 73 years old.

“My deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his widow Beatrice Rothman, as well as our colleagues in the Judaic Studies Program and Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies,” Bachas said in the statement.

Rothman was born on Aug. 26, 1942 in New York City before earning his B.A. in Middle East history at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, M.A. at Columbia University and Ph.D. at the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University of London.

He was responsible for research and academic programming at the Miller Center and served as coordinator of the Holocaust Survivors Support Internship Program and executive director of UM’s study abroad program in Israel, UGalilee. He also spent time as a journalist, editor and translator in Israel and the United States, authoring and co-authoring eight books throughout his years.

Haim Shaked first met Rothman 50 years ago at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

“He was an outstanding individual with a golden heart; industrious, innovative and truly caring for students,” Shaked said.

Before coming to UM, he was the founding academic director of the Canada-Israel Foundation for Academic Exchanges, and for more than 30 years was a professor at Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, heading the Jewish and Middle East Studies program at its College of the Humanities.

The statement said a “modified Shiva” will be held for Rothman from Tuesday, Oct. 6 to Thursday, Oct. 8 from 7-9 p.m. at 90 Edgewater Drive, Apt. 325, Coral Gables, Fla. This is in addition to a service on Thursday, Oct. 1, at 12 p.m. at the Steeles Memorial Chapel, 350 Steeles Ave. W., Thornhill, Ontario, Canada.

Rothman advised governments, international agencies and non-governmental organizations in peace-building, peacemaking, policing and policy, and project management, according to the university website.

He is survived by his wife Beatrice Rothman.

William Riggin

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...