Campus Life, News

Voting to open for senate seats, referenda

As the fall semester reaches its midpoint, seats for the senate board of Student Government are open. Elections for new senators will take place from Monday to Wednesday, when students can vote for who they feel will represent their best interests.

With 27 seats open, numerous representatives of houses, classes and colleges will be running to help serve their constituents. Leading up to the elections, the candidates are using various methods to reach out to their voters and raise awareness of themselves and their proposed policies.

On social media, faces of candidates are abuzz. Candidates have handed out fliers, sent emails to different Listservs and spoken in organizational meetings to publicize themselves.

Students can also vote on a referenda proposed by Distraction Magazine and the Ibis Yearbook. The proposal states that the Student Activity Fee be raised by $1 each, with the proceeds going to their respective organizations.

“We decided to go out for referendum because we believe the yearbook is such an important staple on campus,” said Emily Eidelman, the editor-in-chief of the Ibis Yearbook. “The small raise in the student activities portion of tuition will go such a long way for us. We document the history of the year for students 50, even 100 years from now to look back on. With the help of current students, we can keep our tradition of the book going for years to come.”

For the last elections in the spring semester, 30 percent of students voted with a total of 2,934 votes. This was 1,000 votes more than the previous election.

How to Vote

Sept. 28-29: Voting will be open on OrgSync from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Sept.30: Voting will be open from 10 a.m . to 4 p.m. on OrgSync.

The Breezeway will also have a voting station for students to vote from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Wednesday.

Students can vote on any device that has access to the OrgSync website.

Students running for election

NAME                         POSITION

Adrian Nunez             Commuters

Alex Underwood        School of Architecture

Ali Shaikh                    Stanford

Amber Williams         School of Nursing

Andrew Weinstock    Sophomore Class

Arthur Faria                Business School

Charlotte Gerrity       Senior Class

Christina Valin           Mahoney

Curtis Mitchell           Mahoney

David Mejia                Commuters

Emeline Savidge        Junior Class

Felicitas Amor            Ibis Yearbook

Hannah Abel              University Village

Hannah Kenny          Commuters

Henson Destine         Sophomore Class

Irvenie Latortue        Arts & Sciences

Jackie Safstrom          Commuters

Jacky Wohn                Sophomore Class

Jacob Rudolph           Arts & Sciences

Joe Buzzetti                Arts & Sciences

Josh Zuchniarz           Arts & Sciences

Kendall Eisenberg    Distraction

Kiera Parrish             University Village

Kristin Cilluffo           Junior Class

Matt Carmen             Fraternity Row

Melissa Wyatt            Senior Class

Meredith Morris        Freshman Class

Mykhaylo Senkiv       Junior Class

Natasha Jansen         Commuters

Reshav Mehtani        Arts & Sciences

Revanth Boda            Pearson

Ryan Donahue           Hecht

Sam May                    RSMAS

Sandeep Dhirya        School of Education

Sarah Betancourt      Commuters

Shiyi Liu                     Freshman Class

Zahra Markatia          Mahoney

Marcus Lim